“Defining Cool 1 rack of ribs at a time”
Review of Barbeque Castell

Barbeque Castell
Ranked #107 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Barbecue, Belgian, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Castell's is a place that Shaft , or maybe even Don Cornelius from Soul Train would eat in every night of the week. Smoot 70s disco and R&B, leather couches, and a wood fire BBQ in the center of the restaurant. If you aren't ready to go there just from reading that then you are crazy. The place is the coolest restaurant around.

The food is absolutely out of control. Dutch FAT [--] Steak and a Rack of Ribs required me to ask the waitress for an air mattress. The steak was cooked perfectly, had great flavor, and you could taste the smokyness from the grill. The ribs were top 3 ribs I have had in my life, the other two were in Nashville and Charleston, SC, so you can imagine that Castell's does ribs right.

To quote a friend "this is the ultimate man's restaurant", however I know plenty of women who would live to dine as Castell!

1  Thank Alex M

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We would never have expected to find an excellent barbeque place in Amsterdam, but a friend lives there and chose Barbeque Castell as our restaurant for our one evening there. What a great recommendation! The barbeque could win prizes anywhere in the U.S. Great ribs, very good service, very friendly place. If you are looking for something you would not think of as typical, local food, this is a great place.

2  Thank bbwex
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were recommended to this place by a friend. Glad we went and had a nice time. Waitresses were really nice and service was great.
Also, the food was of good quality. Started with a crab cocktail, a little too mayo influenced...the crab didn't need the drenching.
Second for us was the filet (the big one) and the chicken skewers. The meat was good
...
BUT here comes the only problem. They don't grill it correctly. They have a really cool open grill area on display. Rustic, nice touch. They have it really hot, and the grates are really close to the heat. It means they get a good, elicits sear on the meat, but the problem is they can't keep it on there very long. Makes it impossible to cook it correctly.

My filet came out and I could tell right away, just by how it moved and reacted to the pressure of my knife/fork. Now, to be clear, I am no stranger to steak houses, and am a medium rare to rare man. But when you slice 1mm in and it's pretty much raw you know you're in trouble.

I ate the perimeter and in as much as I could and then asked to have it revisit the grill. The gal said 'no problem' and whisked it away like it happens all the time. I was ready to explain and be polite and everything. No need, it was handled without so much as a flinch.

Came back and same story...ate it about half an inch in and then sent it back (offered this time) for one last go.

So, that's what happened. Delicious, but wow, just barely cooked. Again, a poor technique. They need to teach these guys how to check the steak with pressure on the grill for firmness. You shouldn't have to send it back once, let alone twice. The sear should have some thickness to it.

THe potato was awesome.

1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed June 18, 2013

THe portions are good!!! quite expensive but the taste is so well worth it! I got the lamb which was 19 euros and very juicy barley added any sauce to it! very fulfilling meal!

1  Thank Jaddo
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Came back to this place after not visiting it for several years.
I have to say that they still have the best ribs i ever had. I travelled around since being here back in the day and i have never had ribs as good as at this place.

The place itself is decorated really nicely and the service was just great. Very friendly people.

Highly recommended.