“I visit once a week!”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed May 22, 2013

A quirky environment, friendly service and brilliant steaks.....simple! So good I go back every time I'm in Amsterdam (i.e. once a week!!)

2  Thank JamesF_London

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We arrived late on a Friday night with no reservation on a tip from a friend. It was a night we won't forget. It was crowded but the servers accommodated us to have appetizers and drinks in the bar and then transferred us to a table in the restaurant. Though the seating style is different, it is fun and memorable. It also matches the large knife and wooden platter that accompany your food. I tried the ribs and the filet, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Bring your $$$$

1  Thank MarkfromAtlanta
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The experience of dining at Castells cannot be duplicated. The many times i have enjoyed, the best ribs i have eaten, have never been anything but phenomenol. Over the years i have enjoyed the casual and unique ambiance more times than i can add up. Unlike any experience youve had dining out, this one will not be forgotten. Be sure to make reservations as every night is the busiest night of the week. Enjoy.

1  Thank markhenry1
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went to BBQ Castell based upon a recommendation. I really enjoyed my experience here. We sat near the grill and watched the grillman make great steaks all night. The service is really attentive and friendly.

I ended up ordering the veal with roquefort sauce but I think it was a mistake. I ordered it b/c I love blue cheese but the steak was not memorable at all. My friend ordered the gaucho and he said that he's definitely had better in the past. For all of the hype of this place I felt as if it doesnt deliver on the "amazing steak place" promise. Still, I thought it was very good and I would go back and order something else to see if I simply ordered incorrectly the first time.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I absolutely loved this restaurant! We sat on a large wrap-around couch by the fireplace, and there were two other groups of people on the couch (though it's so large we weren't sitting right next to each other so didn't feel awkward). They bring your food out on a large wooden platter (they give you a towel to put on your lap and a wooden mat) and you basically eat in your lap. It may seem really unappealing to some who prefer more conventional dining experiences, but this is how me and my partner eat at home so we were fine with it. The atmosphere is wonderful, the staff are lovely and the food was excellent. Seriously, the best barbecue I've had (and I'm not even a huge fan of barbecue). The servings are quite large and very filling, I couldn't finish all of mine, though the baked potato was so delicious I nearly threw up trying to shove it all in :P