“Great food and service.”
Review of Barbeque Castell

Barbeque Castell
Ranked #103 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Barbecue, Belgian, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We headed out quite late for dinner and got turned away from a couple of places and then found Barbeque Castell. We got seated right in front of the grill on a bar style table and some lovely bread with butter and garlic butter was given straight away. I had the mix grill with baked potato and shared a salad. It was so tasty!! The meat was all cooked to perfection. Music was good and the decor was warm and intimate. The wine was also delicious. Some people were eating on the sofas…not sure if I would have enjoyed that as much.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were recommended Castell by the hotel we stayed at as a good place to go after a night of dancing at Paradiso. We thought it was great and were sat right in front of the chef...so were fascinated to see him in action. The food was excellent, we both had steak which was wonderfully cooked and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. We'd definitely go back...although not a particularly quiet and romantic place to go...more for a bit of a party...!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have been to this place, may be more than 10-15 times and I really love the spare ribs, which I had first tried here itself. I tried spare ribs in most of the other restaurants in and around Leidseplien but this place is unbeatable!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I visited Castell on the recommendation of a friend who lives in the city.

He didn't disappoint because the food was really great. I was with a group of 5 and everything we ordered tasted fantastic and was clearly very fresh. If you like seafood and steak, you'll be happy. There are other options available but the seafood and steak take center stage.

The service was prompt and friendly, if a little abrupt. I chalk that down to the Dutch demeanor moreso than the staff themselves.

The big problem I have with this place is the dining format. There are no tables, as you would traditionally find them in a restarant. The layout is more like that of a drinks lounge, with large coffee tables surrounded by low, leather couches and low hanging light fixtures. Different, yes. Practical, not so much.

You're given a wicker placemat covered in a napkin, onto which you put your plate/platter when it arrives. This all seems unique and novel until the reality of having to eat like this sets in. You're wrestling with a 18oz T-Bone on a serving platter on your lap. There's also garnish, a jacket potato and 2 dipping sauces on your plate. To add to this, they serve the steaks with chef's knives, as in the large carving knife, not a steak knife. Again, novel but impractical. We all found ourselves shuffling the food around the board with our utensils, unable to put anything on the table, because it would then be too far away to use. A couple of us dropped food off our laps!

I would recommend this place if there's just 2 of you or, if there's a group, you plan to just order platters and share from the table. Otherwise, making conversation with a group and concentrating on keeping your food in one place on your lap may be a bit too much.

All in all, the food quality made up for the unusual format. The layout did make for a relaxed, jovial atmosphere. I'd visit again, in a smaller group, with a smaller appetite!

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Saturday night ( yesterday) we booked before and the only time that they had availabe was 10pm. We were greeted warmly by the same person who took our booking over the phone (Patriza). Since our place was still occupied we had a drink by the bar, looked at the menus and another nice staff member recommended that we should order a platter and so we did. The platter was just great, prawns and other nibbles. Then we were shown to our place and ordered our main dishes. We were a party of four, two had veal and the other two had spare ribs, jacket potatoes and salads. Everthing was just superb the spare ribs were so tender and the veal was perfectly cooked. In this place one has to eat on one's lap with trays, this we new beforehand from other reviews that we read on Tripadvisor, i must say that this was also part of the fun. I cannot fault anything in this great place. Thank you so much for a great night out, couldn't have asked for anything better:)

Claire, Veroniqe, George and Edward