“Fine dining...in small portions”
Review of Zuid Zeeland - CLOSED

Zuid Zeeland
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Been there last night with a Groupon voucher for a 3 courses menu: nice little location on the canal, unfortunately i had a rather smelly ladies' room right behind me and some long branches of a christmas tree on my faces... The 3 courses were pretentious in their names but small and, at least the starters, quite uneventful! My wife had the duck, not that bad, and I had the cod with mash potatoes (brandade?). That was completely pointless: cold, tastless and, thank god, limited in size! Better luck with main course, still voucher size but tastier: pork neck for me and fish for my wife. The pork was really good, came with a nice wine sauce and beans, the fish was just ok... The dessert was great in taste and really really small in size! Caramelized pear or something like that, it was so small that we cannot even remember it!
The wine list is good, more whites than reds, most of them also sold by glass, all of them rather pricey!
Bottom line: if you show up with a Groupon voucher, do not forget to budget for pizza afterward!
One last point: there is some sort of a different menu for the vouchers holders and they denied the resevation in the weekend after learning I had a Groupon voucher (valid for every day of the week)

1  Thank Istkid

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Location is superb on one of the most beautiful canals! Warm welcome from the owner in a comfortable and nicely decorated restaurant! The menu is well layed out and difficult to choose from as everything is tempting to choose! Food, winelist and service are excellent throughout! This restaurant seems very popular with the local canal inhabitants where everbody seems to know each other! Very memorable experience and highly recommended!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

It's a nice restaurant with some very pretty and very charming staff. The food is pretty good, it aims high and misses slightly. But here is the rub - You (The staff) really don't need to keep explaining why the food is so marvellous to us - It's really fine, but we live near London and have eaten at pretty classy restaurants regularly thanks very much. You don't need to 'sell' me dinner. At these prices, I don't care if the rhubarb came out of 'your own garden', I want it to come out of The Pope's garden and I want him to be making the custard.

It wasn't Michelin starred food, but it was competently put together and prepared. The portions were very small (although very tasty) and the prices were high. And by high I mean about 75% more than almost everywhere else. Yeah. Ooooooh! And I'm no scrooge by some margin, happy to pay over the odds for a great meal, but for what it is, it's too dear. Simple.

That being said, I doubt you'd ever get a bad meal here, but the bill might give you indigestion. It is a good example of modern metropolitan 'cooler than cool' however, so you might like that.

And all the staff were quite beautiful - Did I mention that? I did. Not a vital detail, but it did help with the ambience.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've eaten here a few times, it's a proper fine dining place, they never really failed us. The wines are great too.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

They were really gracious seating me on what was a busy cold rainy night. They let me know the table was mine, but that it would be needed by a party that had booked it. They were not rude. In fact the staff was incredibly nice.

The Amuse Bouche a kind of warm pork pâté withe pickled veggies was delicious. The cold veal appetizer was equally good, though had I realized I was going to have meat each course, I might have rethought my order.

The room is very clean Scandinavian (or is it Dutch?) design, simple warm unpretentious.