“Just to sit there..took me back in time!”

Cafe Americain Amsterdam
Reserve with
Cafe Americain Amsterdam is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #628 of 3,855 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: Wine and dine among the local Amsterdam people, artists and actors. The ambiance in the dazzling Cafe Americain is dynamic and most of all cozy. It has been called Amsterdam's living room by many and that is exactly how it feels. Enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner, just a coffee or a pleasant drink. At the Cafe Americain or on the amazing terrace during the summer time, you will always feel comfortable
Hamburg, Germany
“Just to sit there..took me back in time!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at the American Hotel for 4 nights and of course participated in the delicious and diverse breakfast buffet. After we returned from a busy day sightseeing and dining at various restaurants in the vicinity...we were always happy to return here for a nightcap and to read the daily papers.

Visited April 2013

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Newport, Rhode Island
“Terrible dinner. Smug Staff.”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I dined at the Cafe Americain restaurant (with reservations) this past weekend, after reading great reviews of the restaurant in our guidebooks and online. Our experience was nothing like the reviews.

After being seated, we waited at least 15 minutes before someone even came to take our drink order. The restaurant was not terribly busy - not even half full at the time.

After ordering, we waited almost 45 minutes after finishing the first course (a salad) and the entree, during which time, our waiter came by to ask us if we would like to order dessert - not realizing we hadn't even been served dinner yet!

I ordered the "Lobster" dish (half a lobster with risotto) and I can tell you, there was no lobster whatsoever. What came out (45 minutes later, and lukewarm) could only have been half a crayfish at best - there wasn't even a claw - and the minimal "meat" that was inside was absolute mush. In total there was perhaps one forkful of mushy lobster-like meat, in all of the tiny crayfish which they passed off as a lobster at 29 EU a plate. I don't like confrontation and thought perhaps I had misunderstood the menu, and the waiter never came to check on us anyway, so I simply didn't eat my dinner.

When the waiter did come by to collect the plates and seemed surprised that we were "finished" I did mention that there was literally no meat in the "lobster" shell and he said, "yes, just in the tail, right?" to which I responded, "Not really..." And showed him the slop that was in the "tail" which was literally smaller than a few centimeters long and a centimeter wide. He sort of laughed and said, "Okay," and muttered something I couldn't understand and went away. He came back and asked us if we wanted dessert. Made no comment about the miserable meal, didn't offer to discount or comp the dish (I worked in the service industry for many years during college and would have done SOMETHING for unhappy guests), not to mention my dish was one of the most expensive items on the menu. The waiter was smug at best and the meal was awful and a waste of quite a bit of money.

We were most displeased with our dinner. It could have been an off-night for the restaurant or the waiter, given all the positive feedback on this site. Regardless, we will never dine there again and will actively recommend against it to friends who are visiting, as result of our horrendous experience. What a waste of money - and an evening in Amsterdam.

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Gorgeous place for special occasion”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My partner and I visited here for a special dinner & it did not disappoint. After a full day seeing the sights in Amsterdam, we came across this restaurant and was immediately struck by the beautiful décor. Feeling a tad sheepish due to having our walking clothes on, we decided to eat here and we are glad we did. Sipping Bollinger & eating escargot - mmmm can life get any better? Romantic and delicious food. We often talk about going back to Amsterdam & this restaurant is one we will return to. A wonderful night :)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Lana2013
Mesa, Arizona
“Great Sunday Jazz Brunch”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife had read about this prior to visiting Amsterdam and she loves brunch and jazz - Our first day we reserved for Sunday brunch. The doors don't open before 10:30A, you will wait outside if you are early. quite a few choices of food, desert comes out at 2:30. You do receive 1 welcome glass of champagne, we additionally ordered a bottle of Bollinger. There was a bass player and piano player which entertained throughout the morning.
The food was great and replenished often.

Visited April 2013
Amsterdam
“very surprising!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We visited this restaurant for a pretheatre dinner last October and were really very pleasantly surprised. We had a set menu and all courses very perfectly prepared. Our waiter was almost certainly in training, but doing his utmost best (and was succesful, by the way). I had guineafowl, which was juicy and moist and exactly right, accompanied by a lovely sauce. This sounds like nothing special, but is not an easy task. I have had this bird served to me in various stages of desiccation in the past; so kudo's! Job well done for a good price in a lovely, authentic atmosphere in Amsterdam. I'll be back!

• Visited October 2012