“Too Expensive for the Food”

Blue Pepper Restaurant And Candlelight Cruises
Reserve with
Blue Pepper Restaurant And Candlelight Cruises is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 3,760 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Description: Royal Rijsttafels and Candlelight Dinner Cruises
Tokyo, Japan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too Expensive for the Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Though people told me about this restaurant much in advance, I was strongly disappointed in the lacking service level, the expense and the averageness of the food. Though I am not one to normally eat Indonesian food, this restaurant boasted such poor food that I may never go back... Should I give Indonesian a second try, I hope to find somewhere much, much better (and half the cost).

Visited March 2013

• Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
“Good for Amsterdam but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

...the wine list is excessively overcharged! I asked for a South African wine on the list (already a way too expensive considering the non-top quality!), because the requested wine was unavailable the owner proposed me a cheap Italian wine from Tuscany! Thinking that I'll get it only because it was from Tuscany! I am Italian, so I could get the same wine for 5 € (instead that 45€) in any Italian supermarket!

Despite this unfortunate event...the dinner has been delicious! 4 out of 5 courses were great (We ordered the Sultan & I option). The service was very good (you may notice that it's not a restaurant run by a Dutch! Where the service is 99% awful), the venue is pretty small, but cozy.

I will definitely return there, but definitely I'll dine without wine! I don't like rip off!

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A great find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Very good food. Lovely clean restaurant. Excellent host/waiter. Definitely recommend. Will return every time in Amsterdam.

2 Thank vivb19
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“great night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My friend and I ate in Blue Pepper restaurant last night and we had a wonderful time. There was a real nice atmosphere in the place, the music was soft as was the lighting. We treated ourselves to the Rijstafel which is like a tasting menu. Every dish had a unique flavor, all nicely spiced and nothing too hot. The sancerre wine that we had to go with it stood up well to all the dishes and the friendly waiters made our evening very pleasant and memorable. Already looking forward to coming back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank coco p
Edinburgh
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The food was decent, we had the "Sultan and I" rijstafel that included soft shell crab, chilli prawns and some less than pleasant black rice sponge cake at the end. The place is way overpriced though, 70 EUR per person for the rijstafel and very few wines less than 50 EUR. For 200 EUR they could have washed the carpet and updated the rather 1980's decor. Only three tables in the corridor-like space were occupied all night so the atmosphere was muted too.

I think the food in the Indrapura was easily as good and the price and ambience in Indrapura a lot better.

• Visited February 2013