“Outstanding little gem just off the Dam Square”
Review of Van Kerkwijk

Van Kerkwijk
Ranked #54 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: Van Kerkwijk, situated at the Nes 41 just behind Dam square, is a classic Amsterdam cafe and restaurant where you can eat and drink from early in the morning till late in the evening. Van Kerkwijk sisters have chosen a personal approach. That's why a menu doesn't exist and your options are presented at the table by your waiter. Van Kerkwijk stands for quality food and drinks in an urban atmosphere. Characteristic, easy going, value for money. You feel at home between the regular customers who keep returning for the varied menu and the relax atmosphere. Van Kerkwijk doesn't take reservations, walk in for a table or wait at the bar with a good beer or wine.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to check this spot out during one of my frequent trips to Amsterdam. It was quaint, charming, bustling, and intimate all at the same time. The service was beyond friendly and the food was outstanding. The menu was presented by the waitress who's baby photos were adorning the wall adjacent to my table--I guess that makes this place family owned. I had an interesting stuffed pepper for an appetizer, a perfectly cooked steak mounted on a blue cheese sauce with a raspberry glaze (excellent and unique), followed by the restaurants 'famous' pear cake. I would return for any of these courses but the pear cake was out of this world....

1  Thank surfingexec2001
Write a ReviewReviews (1,973)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My partner and I went to this resaurant on our last night in Amsterdam after looking on TripAdvisor for a good Dutch restaurant close to the centre of the city. This one ticked all the boxes! We arrived at about 8pm and the restaurant was full. We had a drink at the bar until a table became free (around 30mins). I was a bit hesitant about the 'no paper menu' idea, but the waiters had perfect memory of all the dishes and were happy to answer questions. We both had the beetroot and goats cheese salad for starters - delcious and fresh. I then had cod with quinoa and sundried tomotoes. My partner had beef with a strawberry sauce - sounds strange but it was delicious! We then shared apple cake for dessert. The most i saw waiting at the bar was aorund 12 people, but no one seemed to mind / had to wait too long. Overall an excellent evening, great atmosphere, friendly staff and it was even affordable (total bill of 80 EUR including a bottle of wine). Highly recommended!

1  Thank amyot

A unique restaurant.
The food was excellent in both taste and value.
The place gets very busy so if you don't want to wait then come early or be prepared to wait for a table.
The apple pie was the best I have ever tasted in Amsterdam!

1  Thank ksg_7
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I just came out of there and I am very satisfied, we had a delicious stack with strawberry source and goat cheese, starter and dessert for 70 euro. Food is really very tasty I would go back again eve if I was surprise there was no menu where to see the price on and yew had to rely on the very well trained waitress who tells you what's on for the day.
The only negative think is that they seems to do not was alcoholic beverage glasses properly and I decided to do not get wine.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you want to experience something unique among Amsterdam's restaurants, Van Kerkwijk is the place to go. Especially that is located in the city center - close to Dam square, on Nes street. Be sure to arrive well in time as otherwise you'll end up waiting for a table. We arrived around 18:00 and this is high time to get a table (the place got full half an hour later).

Be prepared to listen to a menu from the waiter as there is no menu card except wine card. Choice is really wide and some dish compositions might sound strange, but they are really delicious. Atmosphere is great - you eat in a cozy place food that is like home made.

We had a great dinner including starter, dessert and wine for two for around 80 EUR. This is really good deal given how delicious the food was and atmosphere of the place. Will recommend it to anyone going to Amsterdam!

2  Thank Andrzej S