“Authentic Dutch food, friendly staff”
Review of The Pantry

The Pantry
Ranked #69 of 3,853 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: The Pantry Imagine a restaurant version of the successful TV show I Love Holland, and that is what The Pantry is like. This cosy restaurant near the Leidseplein distinguishes itself with its typically Dutch atmosphere and traditional old-Dutch dishes. Hospitality is important. The staff understands the dining and hospitality business and have worked here for years, during which the recognition of this restaurant has been ever increasing. The Dutch living room atmosphere is enhanced by the use of lampshades, Delftware and old paintings on the wall, complemented by the background music. The Pantry works exclusively with fresh, homemade products. Its location in the Leidseplein neighbourhood makes this an ideal restaurant to eat before catching a theatre show or movie. The doors open from eleven in the morning, so it's also a great place to go for lunch
Lehighton, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Dutch food, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for an authentic Dutch meal while recently in Amsterdam. We chose The Pantry and are glad we did. We were able to get seats outside on a wonderful evening. My husband had sea bass but I chose "hutspot." This is mashed cauliflower and some other vegetables and I chose a meatball (I'm forgetting the other meat choice). Of course there was plenty of wine and dessert. All was very good! The wait staff could manage our need of English.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank marsha L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, Florida
“Great Dutch "family-Style' Food and Great Service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Want to try real Dutch food in a nice comfortable setting? The Pantry is just that. Small, easy, low-key atmosphere. Very friendly and helpful staff. The menu is in many different language so look through it and you'll find the page you can read. For starters, I had a nice split pea soup with some sausage in it and terrific flat black bread on the side. My entree was something called "Hutspot" which is beef stew mixed into mashed potatoes and served with your choice of meatballs or sausage (I chose sausage). Very good "down home" food. The beers are good.

1 Thank DKFL1956
“You won't regret the food or the service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

For the first time you'll probably pass by without noticing it, but once you get seated be prepared for the superb service. The menu is available in many language with a special section dedicated for traditional Dutch cuisine. Once the dish arrived the waiter explained few things about the dish and so did he with my friends' choices. I went for the over traditional dish it was excellent home cooking dinner and it's was big portion for the price paid.

The place is very cosy and relaxing. Would definitely recommend it to my friends for next trip to Amsterdam.

Niskayuna, NY
“Real Dutch Homecooking”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We found this little gem along a busy strip of otherwise tacky eateries. Stuck my head in, the place was busy and no one there was speaking English. (My first tip on finding a good restaurant a if the locals go there it is probably good.). We sat outside (like tourists - but we were) and a lovely, very busy waiter stuck his head out, said hi, gave us menus and apologized that he was very busy. The service was perfect, he spent time explaining what was a true Dutch home cooked meal and I got that. It consisted of a delicious bowl of pea soup to start and some rye bread and bacon. Very nice. We also tried Bitterballen, delicious beef croquettes. My husband had the small sole, two whole fish that were delicate and perfectly cooked. I went for the traditional combination of hutspot, boerenkoolstamppot, and zuurkoolstamppot with smoked sausage. The three "unpronouncables by me" were all a take on mashed potatoes with something cooked in - sauerkraut, kale, and beef stew. All very good but I liked the sauerkraut one best. The sausage was great. All in all a lovely place in the middle of a very chaotic area.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Delicious Dutch cuisine and A+ service!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch and had a wonderfully filling meal. Great menu and the server was excellent! He impressed us with switching between English, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch. Fantastic experience overall--definitely recommend!