“Great Dutch Food Experience”
Review of The Pantry

The Pantry
Ranked #69 of 3,955 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: The Pantry Imagine a restaurant version of the successful TV show I Love Holland, and that is what The Pantry is like. This cosy restaurant near the Leidseplein distinguishes itself with its typically Dutch atmosphere and traditional old-Dutch dishes. Hospitality is important. The staff understands the dining and hospitality business and have worked here for years, during which the recognition of this restaurant has been ever increasing. The Dutch living room atmosphere is enhanced by the use of lampshades, Delftware and old paintings on the wall, complemented by the background music. The Pantry works exclusively with fresh, homemade products. Its location in the Leidseplein neighbourhood makes this an ideal restaurant to eat before catching a theatre show or movie. The doors open from eleven in the morning, so it's also a great place to go for lunch
Mesa, Arizona
“Great Dutch Food Experience”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife wanted to try "real Dutch food", based on the reviews we decided to try The Pantry. So glad we did. Even though we didn't have reservations, they split 2 tables to accommodate us. The food was outstanding, we both chose the 4 course dinner option. The cheese fondue at the next table looked wonderful, we will try that next trip. Our waiter was friendly and outgoing,

Great location, small so call ahead for a seat, this is a popular place, they must be doing something right!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst meal I've ever eaten”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Having read the review here we went to eat. Didn't need to book, which given what follows isn't surprising. Certainly authentic. do you remember those scoops of mashed potatoes you got for school dinners? Well, 3 of those, variously flavoured, with a lump of smoked sausage on top ( 1 euro from your local supermarket). 13 euros. Actually had the 18 euro menu, so I could get a starter and my wife a pudding. The starter of pea soup was ok, very salty, with a slice of raw streaky bacon on the side. My wife had ordered beef ragout with undercooked red cabbage which was ok-ish. Again, school dinners standard. On a positive note my wife said her house red wine was good,and I had the trappist beer which was nice.

1 Thank Christ0pherF
Aiken, South Carolina
“Now there's a Dutch Ham!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

After waiting for quite a while to be noticed in this small, crowded restaurant, my friend and I were about to leave and find somewhere faster. This very nice couple next to us said, "no, you must stay - Trip Advisor says it's one of the best in all of Amsterdam." Well we were SOOO glad we did! The best food, absolutely the most amazing Dutch ham I've ever dreamed of. Don't be afraid of the small, tight seating, this is one restaurant worth it!

• Visited March 2013
“Good but a bit disappointed”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Considering that this restaurant rated at #22 out of 1500+ in Amsterdam I expected more. Traditional Dutch food served in a cozy little place. Waiter was great and very friendly/helpful. I had the carpaccio appetizer and beef stew. Good sized portions and enjoyed the meal but again, the food quality was average.

London
“Excellent Dutch food”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had delicious Dutch food and a friendly waiter. This place is popular and pretty small, so worth booking a window table in advance.

Visited April 2013