“Much enjoyed, brought back memories” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tempo Doeloe
Ranked #504 of 3,727 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Rochester, New York
“Much enjoyed, brought back memories”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

I spent a few years living in Australia, where I had Indonesian food for the first time. I heard about this place in the Lonely Planet guidebook, and booked a table when my wife and I were in Amsterdam. The food was very good, service was excellent, very warm and hospitable, and the atmosphere was also very enjoyable.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
“Indonesia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

It's a fancy place you have to ring a bell to be let in. The food was good but you can only get bottled water which is annoying. Fun to try the variety of foods- a mix between Thai and sort of Indian foods. Pretty expensive- over $160 for a family of 4 so make sure you are ready to drop that kind of dough!

D G, General Manager at Tempo Doeloe, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review. *This actually goes for everyone who did.*

There is just one thing I would like to bring to your attention, in an upmost humble way - as we are communicating via this medium. Our kitchen only prepares authentic Indonesian dishes, so there is no connection with Thai food nor Indian food. As these kitchens use different ingredients and have different dishes the flavors/food are/is not a like, but of course your taste of tongue is different than mine.

I hope that with this information you have found a greater understanding of the food we served you.

Thank you for your visit and the staff and I wish you a great foody adventure!

Best Regards,

D. G
London
“OK - Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

We visited this restaurant three nights ago and did so on the basis of the BIB Gourmand rating it received from the Michelin guide. We did not make a reservation but managed to get a cramped table between the kitchen and main dining room. We were promptly served with menus and order our beers but were informed that they do not offer iced / tap water - the first cause for concern as this is my experience indicated a restaurant that is simply milking its customers for every penny. I was not wrong. We only order two mains - Beef Randang and a Chili chicken dish which were 23 and 24 euros respectively. The portion sizes were more indicative of the 16-18 euro portion and were simply ok compared to bog standard indonesian food I have had previously in Amsterdam, Indonesia and elsewhere in Europe. It was an OK meal at an above OK price. Look for better options.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York, New York, United States
“WOW!! WHAT A TREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I have eaten in the most famous restaurants around the world and I must say that this was a treat. The food was more than excellent. The service was ok but they had a very nice woman (I forget her name) who really went out of her way. I am not sure if she was owner or what, but she ran the show. Highly recommend!!!

• Visited July 2014
“Comforting Indonesian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

What a treat. The selection is extensive. we were greedy and went for the full deal Rijstaffel. They had a spectrum of mild to tasty stews and super spicy curries. Smoking hot so beware when warned. Tight dining space and service was quite standoffish - but who goes for superb service in an Indonesian restaurant? We will visit again if we visit Amsterdam but will order individual dishes next time.

Visited June 2014