“Great surprise, will visit again!”
Review of Tempo Doeloe

Tempo Doeloe
Ranked #469 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was the first time I have ever had Indonesian food, and we decided we wanted to have it while in Amsterdam since it's famous for it's Indonesian Cuisine. We were NOT disappointed! It was wonderful. My husband and I ordered quite a few dishes and shared amongst ourselves. My absolute favorite was the chicken skewers with a thick peanut sauce, then we also had a beef dish, a steak dish that was amazing, and my husband ordered the goat skewers. They were a "+++" which means as hot as it goes and let me tell you, it was very very hot, a little bit too hot. Beware of that if you don't eat a lot of spicy food they are not joking it is VERY hot. We had a wonderful cinnamon and chocolate dessert, along with a pineapple sorbet dessert. Will be back for sure!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Although I've only eaten Indonesian food when in Amsterdam, I believe this is by far the best so far. The restaurant was very bust and we had booked several days in advance, which I woudl recommend if you plan to eat here at the weekend.

The staff were polite and helpful and explaine dthe degree of hotness of each dish, which is useflu to know, as there is considerable variation. However the quality of every dish was excellent and our bill with drinks came to about £30 per head, whcih i thought was quite reasonable.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Had the rijstaffel at about 35 euros per person. So quite expensive and drinks too expensive ( I think Amsterdam prices similar to London as they get lots of tourists) Was very tasty but beware last two selections very "hot" even though we are used to eating Indian curry a lot at home in Scotland!! Our hotel concierge recommended it as best Indonesian in Amsterdam and booked this restaurant for us two days in advance, and glad he did as seemed very busy so think advance booking essential. Service courteous and informative so would probably return on our next visit.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Crepes with shrimp mousse, Gado Gado, tender beef in macadamia nut sauce, prawns with lemon grass. Yumm!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Wife and I stopped in for dinner on a recommendation from a local contact. Made reservations (which were definitely required). We opted not to do the rice bowl medley as we generally don't eat a lot of veggies (which would have rendered a handful of the bowls wasted) but instead just ordered some appetizers and 2 main dishes.

Everything was delicious. Be warned though, their spices pack a punch. We are used to having things Thai Spicy back home in the states but apparently Indonesian spicy is another notch up.

As mentioned food is not cheap, but the service was quick and friendly and the food was great so it made for a wonderful evening.