“Very very good but....”

Bird Thai Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 4,141 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I almost hate to review Bird Thai because I risk having to wait in line that little bit longer to be seated at a table next time I wish to dine there.. But here goes. Bird Thai is located on the Zeedijk, at the edge of the Red-Light area and a short walk from Central Station. It is immensely popular with both locals and tourists and offers better than average entrees for very reasonable prices. I must say, however, that if you are coming for a taste of original Thai cuisine well..it may be less and certainly different than anything you'd get in Phuket or Bangkok, even though you will get a lot more on your plate than you can possibly finish. Service is exceptionally courteous. Atmosphere is cozy and red with gold trims and it is easy to forget you are in Amsterdam while dining. I used to come here a lot more often but over the years I've noticed quite a reduction in the amount of spice-[hot] and an increase in the amount of rice per serving. Honestly, one gets the sense that this is a Chinese restaurant serving their version of Thai food. But, authentic or not..it sure is TASTY with a capitol T. If you are looking for just the food without the table service I strongly recommend stopping in to their fast-food/take-away or sit at the window bar and eat place: the "Bird Thai Snackbar" exactly across the street from the restaurant. Frankly, I think the food in the snackbar tastes more "Thai": hot, fresh, spicy and it is prepared as you watch. And both locales offer a wonderful view of the street and the colorful characters who populate this wonderfully gentrified district of this great city.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner but the food tasted more chinese than Thai. presentation was ordinair. Food was made for Tourist taste. Price was very reasonable in comparison with other Thai restaurants here in NL.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Best Thai I ever tasted aside from the real one in Thailand. I travelled a lot and knows what the food should taste like because I cooked it myself since I am also an Asian. The serving is ample and great service. Visited them last year, December 2012 and came back last week, April 21, 2013, amazingly, the servers remembers us. Thats highly talked about these people when it comes to customers service. We loved the fact that if you are new and placing an order, they will guide so you don't have to waste the food. Awesome! You got to try to believe this. Not a big fancy place, in the middle of Red Light District but superb.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had eaten there a couple of years ago and came back with high expectations, and was not disappointed. Helpful staff, nice atmosphere and a nice view from upstairs. Great curry and amazing noodles, well worth the extra 3.50 euros they charge to replace regular rice. The portions were large and reasonably priced, and the location is very central. I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've eaten here many times, consistently great food at reasonable prices. Easy walk from the AMS main train station. It get crowded after 6pm, earlier during May-September. Perfect if you wish to eat in the late afternoon. I recommend asking for a table upstairs by the window--nice view of canal out back.