“Wagu”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Description: The Teppan-chefs will prepare the most delicious fish, meat and vegetarian dishes on a hot iron griddle at your table: a la minute cooking with Japanese precision. The contemporary Japanese interior, inspired by the elements of stone, wood, water and fire, is an oasis of tranquillity. The teppanyaki griddles are large enough for seven to ten guests and are ideal for both business and celebratory dinners. Sazanka is open for dinner from 18:30 to 22:00 daily. Lunch can be prepared for a minimum group size of 10 people and must be booked in advance.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

If you like Wagu beef this is the place. Nice service and capable chefs. A bit pricy but to be expected when you are eating quality ingredients like duck breast, wagu steak, and goose liver. Order a nice bottle of Sake and dream that you are in Tokyo.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had been to Sazanka in Tokyo a few years ago and had always wanted to take my family there so I was thrilled to find that there was one in Amsterdam. Its a very different dining experience from eating in a regular restaurant and I was a little concerned that my teenage children might not enjoy it but I am glad to say that they loved it. The service and food were excellent - we all had the Wagyu classic menu and the beef just melted in your mouth. It is quite expensive (about 150 euros per head with drinks) but we thought that it was worth it.

1  Thank Thyme123
Reviewed March 17, 2013

On March 16, 2013 we had a great experience at this restaurant. The service is very warm, pleasant and profesional. The lady chef prepared us a very tasty meal. The vegetarian menu is the best I ever had in a restaurant. The other menu with fish and Japanese beef was excellent.
It is quite expensive ( € 135,00 per person) but worthwile.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were staying at the Hotel Okura (amazing place) and thought we would try out some of the restaurants. The staff of the Sazanka was very polite and was able to fit us in after not getting reservations the day before. We arrived promptly at the reservation time and was sat immediately. The service overall was spectacular. You never were left waiting for food or drink. Typical of a Japanese grill, we were set with a group but were not happy to be among 2 adults and 4 children. While I agree that kids need to eat, when I spend 230 Euro, I don't want a 3 year old girl climbing all over me. While I do not blame the facility, I did find it a bit odd that there were no less than 5 sets of children, some crying, in the restaurant. This brings me to the second issue, the cost. There were two of us, we had two beers each, and the "classic" meal which was the most "reasonable," and spent well over 200 Euro. The food was good...but not spectacular. The cuts of meet were perfect but many of the sides were under-seasoned and lacking flavor.

Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Teppanyaki Restaurant Sazanka, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Wyblea,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do like to get in contact with you about this matter. Could you please send your contact details to feedback@okura.nl? Thank you very much in advance.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is the best Japanese we have had in The Netherlands. The set menu has a lot of food and we were truly stuffed by the end of the meal. We were a family of four and could probably have had two portions between the four of us and perhaps supplemented with a couple of extras. The food was beautifully cooked and presented and the chef was very courteous and engaging. Service was perfect - no questions were asked when our dessert came and we indicated we did not like pineapple; it was immediately whisked away and new plates came back 5 mins later with different fruit. It is not cheap but the ingredients are top notch. Will definitely be coming back.