“Half the stars it deserves”
Review of Restaurant Vermeer

Restaurant Vermeer
Reserve with
Restaurant Vermeer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #315 of 4,099 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: Restaurant Vermeer just opposite Amsterdam’s Central Station in the Barbizon Palace Hotel is one of the finest restaurants in the city. The luxurious Old Dutch décor – marble tiled floors, monumental fireplaces, Delft tiles and plates, austere chandeliers – does suggest something of the master painter’s interiors. But it would take more than a servant-girl’s pearl earring wages to properly enjoy a meal at Vermeer. This is Michelin-starred, high-end, complex, refined European cuisine under the deft hand and watchful eye of Chris Naylor. The menu includes various irresistible multi-course and tasting options, and, while it changes with the season, offers dishes like starter of caviar and Colchester oysters served with veal tongue, truffle, red beet and seaweed chutney, main course of penne pasta with pheasant, walnuts, acorn bread and oloroso crème, and dessert of custard tart with figs, muscovado sugar and raisins. The wine list includes more than 300 labels, and you’ll want to avail yourself of the excellent sommelier’s opinions. Two private rooms can accommodate up to 20 or 30 respectively for memorable celebrations and events.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This restaurant delivers at least two star cuisine, and compares more than favourably to the three star establishments I've enjoyed. Nothing could be faulted, and every course brought both surprise and delight. If you're looking for a memorable experience, and you're happy to pay for it, this is it. Do the full seven courses, with the wine accompaniment, and you'll remember it with joy forever.

1  Thank CMCReading

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We had the 7 courses menu. As someone said, by the time you add everything else in, it gets to 14. The amuse bouches were great, the rhubarb macerated with sugar and pepper is probably the perfect appetiser. The langoustine and fennel dish with wild garlic is probably one of the nicest things I have ever eaten, and not a combination I had had before. The wine matching was interesting, and creative (eg perry for one course. Possibly too many foams - seemed to have a fixation with these

1  Thank Larrybacca
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Multi course dinner accompanied by excellent wines. I especially enjoyed the asparagus soup, the fish

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Not being impressed by plates of food that are more art than substance, I feel my review may offend the more "artisan" conneseurs of refreshment.
Thankfully, it was a company expedition so I did not pay. In fact I am happy that I do not have the financial resources to waste on such food er tainment!
menu was set 3 course- non of which I found even slightly enjoyable, cost was horrendous.
We were a party of 25, multinational. When I indicated I would leave to find something to eat, i was pleasantly surprised to see that I would be joined by 6 other international guests.
Service was, as it should have been-exemplary, & the wine was also very good

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We went here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. We had the 7 course tasting menu, but ultimately received over 14 different courses once you factor in the amuse bouches and pre-dessert offering as well. The service was top-notch and the sommelier was very helpful in suggesting an excellent wine to pair with our meal. The chef was very accommodating of my food restrictions. All in all an amazing 4.5+ hour meal!