“Good balance price and food”

Restaurant Haesje Claes
Reserve with
Restaurant Haesje Claes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #165 of 4,223 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, International
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: “Haesje Claes” is a restaurant situated in the historical center of Amsterdam, between the Spui and the Dam square, across from the Amsterdam Museum. The restaurant occupies six, epic buildings, in which the original architectural features such as little steps, corridors and hallways all have been preserved. Likewise, the exterior of the building is a beautiful example of traditional Dutch architecture. All chambers are breathing a century old ambiance, perfectly suited for a comfortable and casual lunch or dinner. The name Haesje Claes originates from the Lady Haesje Claes, who was born in 1520, and was a daughter of a rich salesman. She was also the founder of the “Burgerweeshuis” (orphanage) formerly located in the Amsterdam Museum. The interior is comprised of paintings depicting scenes from the orphanage and many paintings and tiles in the restaurant date back to this time period. Our kitchen is open daily from 12:00 till 22:00
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Old wooden decor, very efficient kitchen , fast and fresh. Owner offer menu in many languages, sounds a hot touristic spot mid cost.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,649)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This clean, cozy restaurant, with old world charm, serves traditional Dutch food. I found the pea soup and the Stampott, both delicious and comforting on a cold October evening. The service was cheerful and efficient. We enjoyed a lovely evening in this fine establishment and recommend it to those who love to eat traditional food.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I dined here with her parents. We are expats and have been in A'dam for 2 years. This was her parents' first visit to Holland, visiting from Moscow. We gave Haesje Claes a try as it was recommended by my parent-in-laws' Russian speaking tour-guide.

We gut the Dutch experience that we expected at Haesje Claes (for-better-or-worse). Despite making a reservation, we stood at the door for 10 minutes waiting to be seated as smokers navigated their way through us and the others waiting in the cramped entry space. The venue lives up to its reputation with unique decor in each room that appears to convey an authentic 18th century atmosphere.

Food was typical dutch. which can hit the spot on a cold autumn/winter day. My pea soup was decent and my wife's pumpkin soup was okay. My veal entrecote wasn't bad - but like most Dutch dishes, fairly bland. However, we understood that this is what we signed up for when coming to a Dutch restaurant. Likewise with the typical Dutch service - after sitting at our table, we can expect to see our server at 20 or 30 minute intervals for the rest of the evening.

All of this would give the restaurant a 3 rating - it's a tourist trap with some redeeming qualities if you are looking for a Dutch experience.

However I drop it to a 2 because our server was rude (which has not been a typical experience living in Amsterdam) in addition to seldom checking in on us. My wife's parents ordered from the Russian menu, with my wife translating to the server in English, and there was some confusion with their orders and as we asked her to repeat our orders to ensure she got them correctly she became grumpy with us. Then as soon as she turned her back on us, my father-in-law realized that he forgot to order the herring that he had been excitedly talking with us about earlier in the evening. As if to say "dang it!", he snapped his fingers and shook his head in disappointment. Our server heard this snapping and began exclaiming loudly to nobody else in particular "did someone just snap at me, seriously, is this really happening...!!!"

From that moment on, despite trying to explain that the snap was not intended to be a rude gesture towards her, we were on her $hit-list for the rest of the evening. A nice woman did make a cameo later in the meal to deliver our french fries, but otherwise, our service at Haesje Claes tended to be worse than the typically poor Dutch service.

1  Thank WBH007
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Large buzzing (and very old and historical) restaurant that majors in 'traditional' Dutch food. Generous and delicious great pots and plates of meat, potatoes, black pudding and 'you name it we have it' beer selection. Service as with everywhere in Amsterdam is A1 rated. brilliant and charming. A lesson for everyone else in the world about how to make people feel wanted and cared for. England! Can you hear me?

Substantial tasty food at very reasonable prices, no complaints - We went time and again. Bless you all at Hasje Claes.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Before we went on our trip I had reviewed restaurants in amsterdam as there are literally thousands. That might be because there is a smoke shop on every corner and people get the munchies. I had read great reviews on this restaurant and they are all true. You walk in here and it is huge. At the same time it is very cozy due to the fact that the restaurant is spread across many rooms. The greatest thing about the restaurant is the fact that they actually have some Dutch wines on their wine list! I didn't even know the Dutch made wine! The food menu is fabulous with just about every Dutch dish you can think of on it. We had an appetizer with eel, haring and kroket. Very great food. The Dutch wine was alright but lacked body so was not worth the price. Service was great and like in all Dutch restaurants , they let you sit for as long as you like. They do not bring you the bill until you ask for it as the Dutch find it rude to just bring the bill. That would indicate that they wish you to leave. Great place, we enjoyed it very much.