“delicious and romantic”
Review of Rakang

Rakang
Reserve with
Rakang is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #191 of 4,368 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed one of the most amazing meals at Rakang Thai. Since it was a beautiful summer night, we sat at one of the sidewalk tables and enjoyed the view. Our servers were knowledgable and attentive but not intrusive. From start to finish, the food was outstanding; after the steamed seafood spring rolls, I enjoyed a spicy beef dish, my husband raved about his salmon dish, and we ended the meal with burnt Sambuca. A most memorable evening.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Rakang is an outstanding Thai place in Amsterdam. It is very authentic and have a great selection of different Thai dishes. The service here is really great - the staff is really friendly and make you feel at home. The price is a bit expensive for Thai, but given the location of Rakang in the Jordaan it actually feels reasonable. The location make it easy to head off to a number of nightime hot spots for an after dinner drink. I love the spicy duck in the red curry sauce.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Rakang Thai restaurant in Amsterdam has a very nice setting with an open front where you can eat al fresco in the warm weather. The Pad Thai is one of my favorites and the service is very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a great restaurant if you are looking for great Thai food in the centre of Amsterdam. All the staff are Thai which adds to the credibility of the authenticity of the food.

I am really surprised to read some of the reviews here. I lived in Amsterdam for 11 years before moving recently to Barcelona. I have eaten at Rakang several times. It has always been good service and great food.

I try to eat here whenever I am back in town for a visit. I can recommend the Chicken and cocunut milk soup, the chicken green curry and the steamed fish. They are all excellent.

Enjoy!

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Sure, we went there on a Saturday night and sure, it's not too handy planning diner at 19.30 with a two year old (who would've been fine if we had been given a table in time), but our night was (slightly) disappointing on more levels...

Staff were helpful enough, but not very efficient or organised. all of them were literally all over the place. Not a problem on itself, but added to the rest...

We went for one of the set menus, which covered a bunch of appetizers, main courses and a promising desert. This was at least 30 minutes after our reservation time. Still, we had good hopes for the rest of the night. The appetizers (the standard choices such as spring rolls and fish cookies) were well received by our two year old and indeed were tasty enough and well cooked, though nothing special.

A soup was served after this, again, tasty enough, but time had now really passed and the main courses were nowhere in sight. We decided not to risk any more delay and asked for the main courses to be packed and for desert to be served next. These came relatively prompt and again, were tasty enough, but nothing too special, considering the menu price.

At home we had our what was now a rather expensive take-out. It wasn't really worth it. Again, it wasn't bad, well enough cooked, but none of the four dished (on the menu there seemed to be at least five with this set) managed to even suggest why this restaurant is so popular. Even I could name three or four better choices for Thai(ish) food within ten minutes walk of this restaurant and I'm not even that big a fan of Thai food outside of Thailand as I don't think it's worth the restaurant prices here.

Our experience of the restaurant itself matches the rest of this review; the place was too busy for its size, the back of the restaurant was really hot while the other half was too cold, the staff was not working together, really all food seemed to be scooped from from a buffet. So no I really do not understand why anyone would truly recommend this place. (Fortunately for Amsterdam) there are many restaurants that offer much more value for money and much more comfort and atmosphere.