“Fun, relaxing evening with nice staff and good food”
Review of Pasta e Basta

Pasta e Basta
Ranked #116 of 4,091 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Pasta e Basta restaurant nearly opposite the Rijksmuseum has a name that simply doesn’t do it justice. It means ‘pasta full stop’ but really should trumpet the singing accomplishments and mad party atmosphere that the waiters and waitresses deliver. The dining room is splendid, with scarlet-covered chairs, flouncy wall sconces, dramatic drapes and fine art, while the bar area is more modern but just as operatic. The wait staff really truly can sing, everything from Billy Joel to grand opera, and they get the joint jumping. The long tables attract hens and big groups and the small cosy niches and bar are right for more intimate numbers, and it is just one fantastic evening. The menu is Italian, incorporating excellently-sourced meat, fish and veg. Anti pasti are served buffet-style from a chilled grand piano. Main courses always include eight pasta dishes like spaghetti with squid ragout, lasagne bolognaise with tapenade and sage, and penne with radicchio and goats cheese. International wine list matches the international musical programme. Groups are so welcome, and the entire venue seats 110.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a dinner there with a group of 14 people.
The food was very nice, although the service good have been faster.
The fact that have the staff was busy performing and singing resulted in us not noticing in how late it got.
The quality of the food was really good.
So, if you're in no rush and want to enjoy a fine meal with musical entertainment this is the place to be.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My brother and I came upon this place on the way back to our hotel. We were starving so decided to take a chance having read about it on Tripadvisor. They were packed but we managed to get two seats at the bar. The first 20mins of our visit were great. Introduction to how things are done there, drinks & plates for the antipasti buffet. From then on in, it was joust a bit of a chore really. Waited 45mins for our 3 types of pasta, one of which was pretty indelible. We were given at least 2 free drinks but that really didn't make up for the fact that by the time the food came neither of us were hungry because it had taken so damn long. Really wanted to love this place! The singing was fab the staff great but just doesn't make up for such a massive wait for the food itself, which has to be why you go to a restaurant in the fist place.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stumbled by this restaurant as we were walking through the streets of Amsterdam, we could not have been more pleased with our service and our food. As we were in the lobby looking over the menu one of the staff members came over to tell us the concept of Pasta e Basta. Most of the staff is local college students who are all very talented and as you are enjoying the fabulous food they take turns walking through the restaurant singing anything from classical to opera to pop songs. My husband and I sat at the bar and our waiter/bartenders Boris and Ivan were so much fun, not only did they give us excellent service but they were very entertaining as well. I would HIGHLY recommend Pasta e Basta. You may be in Amsterdam but trust me when you are inside this restaurant you are in Italy!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

The waiters and waitresses apart from doing their job, they sing with live piano, an experience somebody may like a lot, and other may not like.
Food was OK but nothing special

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I came with my partner, for the marathon and wanted somewhere to have a pasta meal the night before. I had not read the reviews, but what a find. The starters and pasta were delightful and more than enough for the night before a marathon. The staff were so friendly and when they sang I was captivated. This was a fantastic way to enjoy pasta and Amsterdam, I would highly recommend and will return when I come back to Amsterdam.

Dr B