“There is potential”
Review of Mercat - CLOSED

Mercat
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Eastern Docklands (Oostelijk Havengebied)
Istanbul, Turkey
“There is potential”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had not read the reviews here before we went out of our way to get there, and I am glad I didn't. Probably I would not have tried, since it really is quite a journey with public transportation and visitors seem more or less in agreement in the reviews. We enjoyed seeing this part of town despite the effort, and were excited about the atmosphere of the restaurant. We were greeted in a friendly manner and allowed to choose a table, because the place was almost empty. This waiter was good, but we experienced the variety later that evening, which has been described by other reviewers. The food was nice most of the time, but could be better. A committed manager/host could bring some balance and focus. Considering the other places we visited, we could not be as enthusiastic about this restaurant, but it does have potential and I would like to try it again some time.

• Visited September 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Meal was passable but the service was awful”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was a solo traveller and one or two of the staff seemed to have a problem with this from their manner. The meal was OK, but as soon as I had eaten my plates were taken away but when I asked for the bill the waitress deliberately did everything but bring it. I waited for ever and ended up walking to the counter to do this. Rude.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank douglasgcoc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“'still suffering from inconsistency' ...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Been to this place - a 'local' - 3 times in the past month ... by all standards, an 'inconsistent experience' ....
first time - serrano manchego salad with bravas sauce, manchego got left out... after being informed, they brought a sideplateful to compensate ...langostino salad good, garlic chicken was 'delicious' , crema catalan 'average and overpriced'.. good carajillo ..
second visit, serrano manchego revisited, all ingredients present but bravas sauce 'less accomplished' .. iberico porkloin with pork ragout was 'knockout' ..
third visit, langostino salad shrunk half in size, mingy as hell, charcuterie plate average, gambas plancha 'average' ..

This place is still suffering from inconsistency, so whether you get a 'really good meal' will be a pot-luck affair until they sort this out ... based on the 'most recent experience', it gets 'average' 3 stars .. though very easily it could get a higher grade, if they just get their act together ..

• Visited March 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Service first and then the rest.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Made a booking and came 10 minutes before as I didn't know much about how far from my hotel it was. When arrived no one approached us for about 5 minutes to greeted us and to sit us. When that happened it was the manager who told us that our table was going to be readyin a matter of 5 to 10 minutes and asked us to wait on the bar. 52 minutes waited there and then when our table was given no one came to apologize for the waiting and the waitress took also her time to come to us to place our order. It shows that the service in general was poor but then when the food arrived it looked from frozen, tasteless and obviusly I coldn't say anything as not check back was given...

• Visited February 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Mwaaaaah”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

In short: had breakfast here and service was very slow (despite almost empty restaurant) and food almost put us to sleep again. My advice: don't go out of your way to get here.

• Visited January 2013