“The best Indian food ever!!!”

Maurya Indian Restaurant
Ranked #3,355 of 4,006 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I believe this Indian restaurant has been recently taken over and previously there had been some bad reviews attached to a previous owner. However, after recently visiting it I can confidently say that my partner and I, who have eaten an indian or two in the past, thought the food here was exceptional, some of the best we have ever tasted.
From the outside, the building needs an overhaul the entrance way is a little drab and uninspiring and the prices on the menu's look over priced so it was with trepidation that we wandered in and were about to turn back when we discovered no-other customers inside.
The only thing that kept us from doing so was the cleanliness of the place and the beautiful exquisite decoration. We figured that they must get customers to be able to pay for the furnishings alone!!!
The food is totally organic and freshly made, it does not come cheap and the portions are not oversized but we enjoyed every morsel. I just hope the word gets round!!

4  Thank Lisa W
There are newer reviews for Maurya Indian Restaurant

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have read the previous reviews having just returned from Amsterdam. We went to Leidersplein on the tram and chose to eat in the Maurya, primarily because it was next door to the Waterhole bar where there was live music. We thought the food was superb. I came from the West Midlands and the meals were on a par if not superior to the ones at home. It was expensive however we found Amsterdam to be expensive anyway (Were paying 6 euros a pint of Amstel.) The restaurant was beautifully decorated and furnished and all in all a great memory

1  Thank villafan
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This place is a complete rip-off. Although the food tasted fine, if not good, it did not have the taste of organic fresh ingredients.
Rice was NOT included in the price of a main dish which were all expensive and portions were small. A veg side dish was nearly as expensive as a main dish. Tap water could not be served even though we had ordered alcoholic drinks.
The bill was extortionate!
Two days later I still feel lousy about our time and meal there.
JUST DONT GO. ITS A TOTAL RIP-OFF.

4  Thank Liduina D
Reviewed December 28, 2013

i write reviews and did not check Tripadvisor reviews. felt ripped off just like other stories here. i thought the owner was professional and kind. instead it was a tactic to upsell. lured into this place by the promise of organic food by someone at the door. quality of the food was nowhere near what fresh organic tastes like.

4  Thank docLosAltos_CA
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was in the toilet at the same time as the waiter. He used the urinal and did not wash his hands. We left immediately. This restaurant should be closed by the health authorities.

5  Thank Rohit R