“Lof the menu”
Review of Lof - CLOSED

Lof
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Dublin
“Lof the menu”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We three international friends,myself Irish, one Flemish and a New Yorker were looking for a convival place to eat, talk and relax after a long day - the one recommended it turned out had closed & morphed into a wine bar - locals outside speaking "dutch" to our flemish friend eagerly recommended a restuarant around the corner - though they didnt' know the name. We found it though by the sheer weight of locals inside. With no information other than its obvious popularity and something about the minimalism that makes you believe - we were not disappointed. The young girl who waited our table impressed us with her fantastic grasp of culinary english - delivered with such a beautiul smile. We ate various game, fish and vegetable dishes - accompanied by perfectly good house red and white . The deserts and cheese equally good and the coffee a perfect end to send us on our way on a cold Janurary night in a snow covered city. Recital of menus is new to me - you have to listen and imagine every taste and texture and you do - especially when the food is this good - this could catch on!!!

• Visited January 2013

Cambridge
“Superb. Everything spot on”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Was invited out with a group of locals. Didn't know the score regards no menus, but was great. I've eaten out quite a lot in the city, and have enjoyed many restaurants but this was a treat. Casual but good humoured service, excellent food and nice atmosphere.

The city has some shocking eateries and not any spectacular reputation for its food, but this, and others, do it proud. Stick away from the central tourist traps and junk food, look where the locals are eating and you'll find gems just like Lof.

1 Thank Cocoda-Cambridge
Switzerland
“Food is good but staff not so much”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The restaurant is not big, maybe 10 tables but there is only 1 waiter and 1 guy cooking . There is a fixed menu at 40 Euro per person. there is no menu the waiter come and sits at your table and explain what they have (1 vegetarian, 1 Fish and 1 Meat Menu). The Food is tasty and fresh. 40 is not a lot of money but also not cheap considering that the menu are quiet simple and that you have no choice for only a starter or a salad if someone is less hungry.
My mean Problem was the staff , I am just so tired off all this places where the waiter believe they are sooo cool. We asked what desert they have, 1 of my collogue went out for a smoke and the waiter refused to say what is on the menu before everyone is back or the restaurant was quiet busy so it takes long before the waiter came at our table to sit down and take about the menu. ( no written one). way too much attitude from the waiter for me.

• Visited September 2012
Leicester
“Substance over style”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

If your criteria for eating out is based on the food quality and service, you can do a lot worse than Lof. Located only minutes away from Amsterdam Centraal railway station, it is easy to find. The place itself is unpretentious and has a convivial atmosphere, which clearly attarcts the natives. The prix fixe menu gets one a choice of meat, fish or vegetarian for the first two courses and a choice of cheese or dessert to finish. The wine list is limited but the available choices are good and not overpriced. Nick, the maître d' is humourously candid and is on hand to help with dining options, with which he is fully conversant. All in all, a most agreeable place. Oh, and they make a good espresso.

• Visited September 2012
“Overall nice seafood I had there!”
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

By accident I ended up to dine in this restaurant. It has interesting menu especially for the pre-fix menu. You can only find out from the waiter, who was a tall guy with very good knowledge about the menu as they should. He had a bit of attitude and gave some hard time on the definition of alcohol - I suppose he was not expecting me an Asian by myself asking for hard liquer. So he snorbishly pointed out that wine was liquer until I specifically asked for the gin made in amsterdam.
Other than this episode, the food was very good. I had the oyster from the Normandy and the skate, both from the starter list. Oyster were succulent and fresh, different from those from east coast of USA. The skate was delicious and portion was big as a started if I go by the US standard.
The dessert was good.
Overall good experience and the restaurant was not crowded helped in some way.
I would recommend but keep in mind it's not budget price.

1 Thank Hxj127