“Fine Dining with Imagination and Creativity”
Review of La Rive

La Rive
Reserve with
La Rive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Binnenstad
Description: Dine in style overlooking the Amstel river at restaurant La Rive. Culinary excellence and extraordinary hospitality makes restaurant La Rive a class of its own. Under the inspired culinary leadership of Chef de Cuisine Roger Rassin, Maitre Ronald Opten and Sommelier Ted Bunnik, every guest is assured of a culinary experience. La Rive is a member of the culinary restaurant association Alliance Gastronomique. The exceptional wine expertise of our three sommeliers in combination with the creativity of our kitchen contribute to a unique and unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My colleague and I had a night free from work and decided to splurge. La Rive came up top on our list given all the positive reviews online.

There were 2 set courses on the menu: "La Rive Gouche" and "La Rive Droite". My colleague went for the "Gouche" while I chose the "Droite".

Even before dinner proper, we were given a taste of the things to come. The amuse bouche were wonderful. The cherry tomato marinated in oriental sauce, fried then caramalized had that good balance between sweetness, saltiness and tartness which exploded at one go in the mouth. The chicken mouse in white chocolate, topped with caviar was simply divine. I had tried a white chocolate dessert topped with caviar at Garibaldi's in Singapore, but the chicken mouse was the critical ingredient that was lacking in Garibaldi's rendition.

For the main meal, my colleague's choice of "La Rive Gouche" comprised Duckliver (terrine), Langoustine (noodles, lemon grass and cilantro), Sardine and Lamb. Dessert was strawberries in a sugar waffle. My colleague thought the food was great. I found the Langoustine with noodles and lemon grass a rather creative mix though I didn't get to try it.

For my choice of "La Rive Droite", I had fresh scallops (with lemon and gazpacho sauce), Lacquered Eel (with cucumber, green apple and crayfish), Lobster (in a potato based sauce and topped with caviar) and Venison. I couldn't handle a full dessert and requested for a tasting of their blue cheeses.

I loved the first 2 courses (scallops and eel). The clever combination of ingredients supported each other in both dishes without overpowering or overwhelming the diner, who could still enjoy the subtle simplicity of the creations.

The Lobster, unfortunately, was a disappointment. The lobster, caviar and butter potato sauce, put together, resulted in a dish that was simply too salty/briny and, in contrast with the earlier 2 dishes, overpowering. The venison was a creditable recovery after the lobster. The blue cheeses were lovely, as to be expected in a place like La Rive in the Netherlands.

We started off with a half bottle of Guigal Condrieu (2004) and then moved to a half bottle of Guigal Cote-Rotie (2000) for the main course. These were known wines so no surprises.

Overall, an enjoyable evening of fine dining delivered with imagination and creativity. This is notwithstanding the lobster fiasco, which I suppose I am being fussy now given the prices La Rive charge... :)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Went with husband for a special meal in April. There are 2 taster menus with accompanying wines so we chose one each and tried each others. We also had the additional champagne and caviar course, so had about 10 courses each plus a taste of 10 more.. Everything was amazing, with each course resembling a work of art. The setting was beautiful, at water level as the sun went down and lights were lit on passing boats. the wine choices were perfect and the sommelier extremely knowledgable and friendly. We were too full for the chocolates so they boxed them up for us to take with us. At appx €600 for 2 this was by far the most expensive meal we have ever had, but a fantastic experience that will go down as one of our most memorable meals ever.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The food is fantastic.

The wine list is to die for.

Staff are excellent.

Location and atmosphere is good.

Sell a kidney and enjoy one of your last meals there ... It's worth it ;-)

1  Thank Trueblue2x07
Reviewed September 5, 2013

La Rive was great the food was what dreams are made off "Fantastic" the staff was fabulous and position wonderful. It was expensive but it was worth it.

4  Thank AndrewJanis C
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booking is mandatory. If you can, ask for a table in front of window.
Staff is very friendly and informative despite the very formal look.
Be aware that restaurant has only to menu choices, each one consisting of a preselection of 5 (you can adjust it from 3 to 6) dishes, but this doesn't mean you wil get stucked without choice as the food, including presentation, is very very good.

1  Thank fmmjrpm