“Great Service and Experience!”

Kantjil & de Tijger
Ranked #737 of 4,307 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Kantjil and de Tijger strives to give its guests that same senang-feeling. The feeling of being at ease, so that we can feel the same. Take a seat and discover the taste of the rich Indonesian flavours. Our dishes are prepared and presented with care, and are freshly made on a daily basis. Order lunch, dinner or visit Kantjil To Go. There’s a little bit of something for everyone, to get those tastebuds flowing. Our impassioned and welcoming personnel will happily help you choose dishes and drinks to your liking.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was a true treat for was to try the traditional Rijstraffel, but we had no idea how to read the menu. Out waitress described all of the different options, and when we received our table full of food, it was all delicious! A must for any visitor of Amsterdam!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,134)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I had a hankering for Indonesian and walked by this place on my way to another restaurant. The food looked really good and after talking to a couple of regulars sitting outside, I decided to stay. The place was packed but luckily, someone had just left a table outside so they let me have it. That was great because it is on a busy pedstrian area so was great for people watching. I really wanted to try the Rijsttafels (lots of small dishes) but I was solo and you need at least two people to get it. Dang! The server suggested the Bami Goreng Kantjil, which consisted of several different dishes over noodles with a giant shrimp cracker on top. All of the different dishes were very tasty and the satay was fantastic! I thought the prices were okay for the amount and quality of the food. I would go back but with a friend to try the Rijsttafels. ;-)

1  Thank chocolate4dessert
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were recommended Kantjil & de Tijger by our host in Amsterdam and he said "It is the best place for a Rijstaffel in Amsterdam" and whilst the Rice Table is a little pricey we paid 27.50 Euro per head, the quality of the food was really very good and there was plenty of it.

Everyone seemed to be having Rijstaffels and really enjoying them and we came with the intention of having one also and it didn't disappoint. My advice would be to leave plenty of room before embarking on a Rijstaffel and to go for one of the mid-tier versions (if your going to pay that much and make a special trip might as well sample the best you can).

I would definitely recommend Kantjil & de Tijger for a Rijstaffel in Amsterdam for a nice evening out, close to a tram stop too so if your too full after you can simply hop on the that.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was a very expensive meal with small portions and inattentive waitstaff. Highly recommended and extremely disappointing!! There are far better food options in Amsterdam!!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Really good restaurant that accommodated our group of five without a reservation, but a reservation would have been given us indoor seating. We arrived early in the evening and the restaurant was already busy and got busier very fast. It was recommended by our bed and breakfast hosts and was very good. We thought the prices were a little high (25 euros and up per person for rijstafel), but we later went to another Indonesian restaurant near our bed and breakfast (pretty far outside city center), and their beginner rijstafel was 27 euros per person, and the food not nearly as good, so now I feel their prices were at least standard and the quality better. The one disappointment at Kantijl and de Tiger was a fruit salad at the end that was supposed to have sweet potatoes, mangoes and other tropical fruit. I think the kitchen must have been out of a lot of stuff, or else they have trouble making this salad as described, because there was one piece of sweet potato and lots of bananas, apples and other very standard non-tropical fruit. Still tasty, but not special.