“Some very good, but room for improvement”
Review of Hemelse Modder

Hemelse Modder
Reserve with
Hemelse Modder is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 4,516 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: On a short city trip it is hard to find a restaurant which represents the feeling of that city - one that makes you feel welcome, offers good food an terrific wines. Hemelse Modder is that restaurant in Amsterdam. You can find us close to the Central Station in quiet neighborhood, and situated on a beautiful canal.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I really don't like leaving negative reviews. So let me start by saying the service was very friendly. I loved our server! I also loved my starter - the fish croquettes. Very delicious. We dined there with our three children, 10, 13, and 14. The biggest problem for us was the huge amount of time between our courses. It was literally a full hour, and when it did come, my husband and I had both ordered the grilled asparagus dish and it was barely room temperature. That's very disappointing when paying a higher price. The temperature of the restaurant was very warm, uncomfortably so.

I'm used to (and really enjoy) the slower pace of European dining and have eaten at many places there, but this was really excruciatingly slow. Especially not okay since the meals were not hot. It could really have been better. My kids loved the frites, of course.

Usually I find Trip Advisor reviews to be very reliable, so I am hopeful that this was just an aberration or a foul-up in the kitchen, but it was not a great meal out for us.

1  Thank sjh40l

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the place. From one perspective, this is a reasonably priced place for what you get (we went for one of the prix fixe option). However, my take is that they are trying to cook a little fancier things then they should / able to. The most delicious dish were croquettes, which were probably one of the best croquettes I ever had. After this starter I had very high expectations for what was coming. However, the food which materialised was somewhat bland and uninteresting (or looked more enticing than it tasted). Overall, it was a reasonable experience but not particularly exciting one. Btw I did like the staff and the atmosphere. Nevertheless, I am not sure if I am coming back.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Had a very pleasant diner with friends. The food was tasty and the wine was good. The vegetarian among us had plenty of choices and was happy. We'll be back.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely 3 course meal together. I really enjoyed the vegetarian options on the menu, but my daughters loves the fish cakes and mackerel. Of course we couldn't skip dessert - I really enjoyed the rhubarb pastry. But the heavenly mud is delicious too.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The menu was very different from anything we have eaten before, with lots of excellent vegetarian choices. Wine was good and reasonably priced with plenty of choice and advice.

The four of us enjoyed the evening very much although we had been slightly nervous when we studied the menu and didn't instantly recognise the plates proposed. However, the waitress was charming and very helpful in explaining everything.