“Delicious food and excellent value, very pleasant suprise in a tourist area”
Review of New Dorrius

New Dorrius
Ranked #612 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: New Dorrius Restaurant & Bar offers a relaxed atmosphere with an inspiring menu of Dutch classics and International favourites. The bar is the perfect place for a nice cup of thee or coffee during the day, but also great for meeting your friends after and to enjoy a cocktail! The restaurant, designed by Patrick Diedericks, has a modern look and feel. Enjoy your healthy breakfast in the morning, a light lunch in the afternoon and a relaxing dinner in the evening, or simply enjoy a nice glass of wine at the bar. Every month we serve a changing menu with ingredients of the season.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

After walking several blocks looking for a decent place that was not a tourist trap, I had the good fortune of walking by the New Dorrius: this place is very modern looking and feels upscale, the food is great, the service is excellent, and the prices are just right. this was a hit!

Our waitress was very attentive and friendly and even gave us tips on other places around the area. Regarding the food, the starter bread and butter is delicious, we tried the tomato basil, and the pea soup and both were exceptional. Our entrees were the Tuscan chicken burger and the beef bacon burger, and again, both were just excellent.

My visit was for lunch on a Thursday so I don't know how busy they get at night, but it's hard to imagine they would not do a good job then as well. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Amsterdam, I did not eat a better meal while there.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

New Dorrius was located directly across from the flat were my husband and I were staying, and I was excited to try out the food for several reasons (great TripAdvisor reviews, beautiful restaurant, Dutch cuisine). We arrived earlier than most, and so a reservation was not required (though I would advise getting one if you plan on dining after eight p.m.).

The service we had was sub-par. It started out good, with the waitress asking if we had any questions. However, it quickly deteriorated. We were not asked if we wanted beverage refills, on either water or wine, and this is a personal pet peeve I have. And, although during our time in Amsterdam we adjusted to the bill taking a very long to receive, it took much longer than average (people had come in, ordered, received their food, and finished their meal). In that time, I attempted to politely get the waitress's attention, and failed repeatedly until I ended up requesting it from another server.

The food I would class as average. It was mostly edible, but nothing hit-and-miss. The bread that came with several butters was delicious. We also got an amuse bouche, which wasn't up my alley (olive and raw salmon, I think). I had the Dutch shrimp croquettes for my starter, and my husband had the Dutch pea soup. Both were okay (I found the shrimp inside the croquettes too pasty and my husband was simply underwhelmed by his soup). Our mains are no longer on the website's menu, but I had the dorade (which was delicious, because the dominant flavour was butter) and my husband had a vegetarian dish (some sort of croquette accompanied with mashed potato) which was too overpowered by blue cheese for his taste.

Overall, I found the food edible with the bread starter as the meal's shining star. My husband didn't care for his meal at all, and felt a little sick afterwards because of the quantity (or strength) of the blue cheese. Before we went, I had intentions of going back for lunch (because their sandwich menu sounded great), but due to the poor service, we found lunch elsewhere for the rest of the week.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had dinner here our one night in Amsterdam before flying to Copenhagen to embark on a Baltic cruise. We had passed by in the afternoon and the modern, simple decor attracted us to look at the menu (which attracted us more). I generally shy away from hotel restaurants for dinner (not sure why I have this prejudice) but this was close to where we were staying and we were too tired from our transatlantic flight to look any further. The New Dorrius is located about a 10 minute walk from the central train station so very convenient for visitors.

We were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent (we now know what Dutch cuisine is and that we like it) and the service was also (attentive without being intrusive). One of our servers patiently explained things to us such as what summer sauerkraut is and the variety of krauts they make in the Netherlands. When my husband complimented the pea soup the same server told us that is was almost as good as his mother's which is the soup she makes to entice her children to come home from all over the country! The other servers were friendly too and English was widely spoken in the restaurant.

The New Dorrius was so special that we decided to consider this our anniversary dinner (we celebrated our 37th the day before we flew out of the US). We were happy they could accommodate us with no reservation on a Friday night, but I would suggest reservations - they were packed, even at 9:30 when we finished our meal.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We received 15% discount as priority club members so we decided to try this on our first night in Amsterdam. We both had the May monthly special for 29,50 euro. This was a 3 course dinner and included the following from the posting:

Menu of the Month of May 2013

-Asparagus consommé with smoked Salmon

-Asparagus with veal prepared in 2 different ways
(slow cooked loin and deep fried bread filled ragout balls)
accompanied by small potato pancakes and
Vadouvan Sauce

-Glazed white chocolate 'Bombe"
cherry Taragon ice cream, almond tuille and
airy white chocolate

Plus there was the wine and water pairing menu for 16 euro (reduced to 11 euro since we didn't have bottled water)

We received top notch service, and I even left a 10 euro tip on top of the included service charge.

We used one of our free coupons for 2 drinks per day, again due to status, for 2 beer and paid for slightly less expensive wine-had tap water so they reduced additional drink package for wine drinker by 5 euro..very nice of them to offer, which was added to the 5 euro tip I would have otherwise left. Total for dinner including wine (but not free beers) after 15% discount was 59,50 euro. (not too bad for what we were served and portion sizes and timing between courses was just perfect). One side note: there were 3 men at the next table so I asked where they were from. They said Austria and then clarified Bregenz. It was ironic because I spent my first night ever in Europe in Bregenz back in July 1973 as a 13 year old who had just arrived for an Austrian month long, junior high trip, summer vacation where we landed in Zurich and then immediately were bused to Bregenz to spend the first night-small world sometimes!
When we stopped by the second evening to use our remaining drink coupon, the waitress remembered us as well as our wine and beer choices and brought them to the casual seating area before the restaurant and Executive lounge entries. She was the one who helped us save money by having the more expensive beers free on the first night plus saying we could save 5 euro by having some of the best tap water in the world instead of bottled water! Thanks…wish I remembered her name-she was exceptional. (tall and blonde)
We also had breakfast here both mornings. I found it overpriced at 25 euro per person, but we received 50% discount due to status, and it was worth 12,50 euro. They made eggs to order so I had 3 over medium one day plus an egg white cheese omelet. The second day, I had 2 egg white cheese omelets. There was some confusion about the egg orders as they didn’t seem to understand “over medium” so the yellows were a little overcooked. I ordered a bacon and Swiss egg white omelet the first day, and they said they didn’t have Swiss cheese so I said any cheese would do. A few minutes later they brought the cheese omelet with 2 strips of bacon on a separate plate. The next day, I just asked for a cheese omelet! Just a language barrier issue and a cultural difference so no big deal. They also had bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, baked beans, and scrambled eggs in big trays. Boiled eggs were there in an area between the items just mentioned and an area with bread, cheese, fish, and fruit. At entry on the right were juices and water. They brought coffee or tea on your request. I forgot the first morning about a review from IreneQ_11 that I had read earlier on TripAdvisor but remembered the second and had 3 glasses of Cava sparkling wine (can’t call it champagne since it’s not from the right part of France). I drink a lot of tap water, and they were happy to give me a larger glass from the bar area. In summary, a very good breakfast with great service, if you get the status discount or have it included in your rate. If you’re a light breakfast eater but would eat here anyway, consider the Executive lounge upgrade for a better deal. I’m giving the restaurant a 4* rating.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

As Crowne Plaza guests we had dinner here one night when we were too tired to search for a local restaurant in the area and were pleasantly surprised by the food. Dutch cuisine but quite interesting. The wait between the appetizers and the main courses was too long but it may have been that we were a large group of 8. However, everybody enjoyed their dinner in spite of that one glitch. I have to say they had some very nice wines at the lower end of the price selection. The décor is open and modern and is not recommended for a romantic dinner.