WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of De Oesterbar

De Oesterbar
Ranked #254 of 3,562 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, Seafood, European
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Lafayette, California
“Consistently Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Every time I visit Amsterdam I eat at De Oesterbar. This is an authentic fish restaurant with an excellent menu. As starters, the shrimp kroket is very tasty - I love Dutch shrimp, which is very different from what we have in the US. The sole, although a bit on the pricy side is exquisite. The "fish of the day" is more reasonably priced and I have never had a bad one.

I love its location, right in the heart of Amsterdam. It's fun to walk around after dinner, with many little bars and terraces to finish out the evening.

You cannot go wrong with this restaurant.

Orange, California, United States
“An excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The restaurant is in a busy, popular square. We sat at the window and had a great view of all of the people at the cafe tables and passers-by. It is a lively and entertaining area at night.

The service was very good with people being able to help us in English. We started with oysters, an ahi tartare app and croquettes. We split an entree of a fabulous white fish recommended by the house; pricey, but very nicely prepared and delicious. We had a couple of wines by the glass paired with the meal by our server, no room for dessert.

At €200 it was an expensive meal, but a very nice experience. I'd definitely go back on a return visit.

Visited October 2013
Islington
“Smelled bad, terrible atmosphere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

The place smelled like there was a problem with the plumbing, the atmosphere was unpleasant, and it was very brightly lit. We were recommended this by our hotel, but after being seated, declined to order.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Lyon, France
“Return visit, it's still great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I needed to find a restaurant in Amsterdam to celebrate the birthday of a special friend and decided to return to the Oesterbar. Leidesplein has many good 'tourist' restaurants but this is at a different level. We were running late but I had called ahead and they saved me the best table in the house looking into the square. After the obligatory glass of champagne with oysters, we decided on the menu designed to mark the restaurant's 75th birthday which seemed quite appropriate. Then we left everything to our charming maitresse d' who deserves great credit for the way she manages front of house. The sole meuniere was exemplary as were the other courses. I'm repeating myself when I say go here if you are a fish lover in Amsterdam

london
“We should have had the oysters”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were staying at the American Hotel and as it was pouring with rain we found our way acros part of the plein weaving through various Irish Pubs and found this fish restaurant. It was nearly empty. I started with a bisque which was obviously just made from the shells of whatever shellfish that were available - it was watery with some brown shrimps in it and I followed with grilled grampas. The plaste arrived with four or five large fish. The plate was red hot and so where the shellfish laying in a pool of very hot liquid. I could not pick them uyp and tried to eat them with a knife and fork.The waiter said he would wash his hand an d shell them for me ! My husband cannot rember what he started with but had a shellfish saffron risotto - golden ruyle with risotto - dont overcook. We decided no to bother with a dessert or coffee and go back to the hotel.

• Visited August 2013