“How do they get away with overcharging! Be aware.”
Review of De Oesterbar

De Oesterbar
Reserve with
De Oesterbar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #456 of 3,814 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, Seafood, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“How do they get away with overcharging! Be aware.”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We enjoy fish so as we were staying near the de Oesterbar the hotel suggested we go there. The waitress was welcoming took our coats and made us comfortable at our table, bringing the wine list and menu immediately as well as fresh bread, nuts and olives. We went through the menu and we all issued shock at the prices. 50 Euro for Sole! 24 Euro for line fish! the cheapest wine 19.50 Euro and it did taste cheap. Line fish was ordered by our friends and my husband, although the selection was cat fish, a tiny portion, which arrived very undercooked, raw and unpleasant. The plaice was a small portion, and tasteless. I ordered grilled sea bass, which arrived as a a very small fillet, with lots of tiny pasta underneath, with a tomato sauce. Where were the vegetables, especially at that price?? We ordered tap water and were given water in a bottle, with a loose fitting lid. This was clearly water from a tap, and we were charged 5 Euros!! We felt cheated to say the least. It is difficult to walk out as soon as one has sat down but I wish we had had the energy to do so. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone, there are many other wonderful places to go to which are so much better and with realistic prices.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank adoretourism

London, United Kingdom
“First rate seafood”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Super fresh well selected ingredients, perfectly prepared and presented. I had the house special eel and shrimp starter, perfect, then a dover sole, also perfect. The super helpful maitre D chose excellent wines to compliment the meal. Highly recommended, make sure you book.

1 Thank FruitTrader
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome food; very pricey; service can be iffy”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have been coming to DeOesterbar for over a decade. The food is always awesome. As other reviews have pointed out, plan to spend top-Euro. Service is usually polite but not necessarily efficient. Most staff speak English to varying degrees -- but menu is in English and I never had any issues.

Uithoorn, The Netherlands
“Overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

As I had Russian and Austrian guests I wanted to have a really good piece of fish. That was a disappointment! Tiny portions (don't they know that is not the fashion anymore?) and we did not get our food at the same time. When I complained (I said the service was bad) the waitress did not agree with me. Small portions and a large bill! That was the last time Oesterbar for me!

2 Thank Cor v
Cairo
“Very expensive, tiny portions and expensive tap water”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I spent the day in Leidseplein, Amsterdam, and decided to dine at De Oesterbar. The menu was varied with numerous items and translated into English. However, the waiter was obviously hesitant, confused and unable to explain the items. I ordered squid with carbonara and linguine. My husband had seabass with garlic sauce and potatoes. As soon as the dishes arrived, we shocked by how small they were. They were not enough to feed a five year old. Portions were the smallest we had ever seen. Plus, they charged 5 euros for a small bottle of tap water!! The experience was not good at all. We will certainly never go there again.

• Visited April 2012