“An Oasis of Dining Elegance Away from the Tourist Area”
Review of De Kas

De Kas
Ranked #64 of 4,099 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We ate at De Kas earlier this month. It was such a welcome relief from the noise and crowds in the city center. My blood pressure went down as soon as we walked in the door. You dine in a greenhouse in the park. Unlike some restaurants in Amsterdam where you are dining on top of others, the tables are nicely spaced. The serivice was impeccable.

The menu is fixed price, so if you do not have an adventurous palate, this might not be the place for you. I could have had just the bread and olives and been satisfied. We had a fennel salad, and although I am not a fennel fan, I was eating the leftovers off my son's plate. The soup was a bouillion which was good, but not fabulous. My only issue with the dinner was the main course of mackerel. I thought this was an odd choice, as it is very fishy and not recommended for pregnant women. After one bite, I decided that was enough. The waiter noticed that I didn't like the fish and insisted that I have the meat alternative which was veal. The staff took note that is was my son-in-law's birthday and they brought him a special dessert. Aside from the fish, we had a wonderful experience at De Kas and I highly recommend it. Be aware that it is a bit of a cab ride from the city center - maybe $50 round trip.

2  Thank travlinmom1429

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Take over a run down greenhouse. Convert half to grow your own veg and the other half into your own restaurant and you have a super hip combo. Highly recommend this restaurant. It is very slick, a bit off kilter and just great food. Enjoy the experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Very out of the way for an Amsterdam tourist, approximately $20 euro cab one way fare from city center. Nice setting - restaurant in a greenhouse where they grow their own vegetables. Meal is 3 course fixed which you can expand to include a cheeseboard. The starter and first course were very good, but the main entree was mackerel that was too fishy to eat. Since it was a fixed dinner, we didn't know that we could ask for something else until we had finished the course. Would have been nice if server had shared that info with us ahead of time. Overall, the fresh vegetables were fabulous and the setting very different. I don't think I would return again. Q

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We choose this restaurant as we read that it is among the most peculiar restaurants in the world. The location is great indeed, and very elegant as well as the waiters. We had the menù with three entrees and one main course. All of them where really good and tasty but very small portions. The price is quite high for what you eat.
It is those kind of restaurants that you try once for the experience of eating in a garden.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have been lucky enough to visit De Kas twice and I loved it on each occasion. We started with a glass of house sparkling and wander through the herb garden, followed by the three delicious courses. We all loved it. The flavours were delicately balanced, the portion sizes perfect, and we also opted for the wine matching which also added to the experience. All the staff are friendly and welcoming which isn't always the case in places the calibre of De Kas. Next time I'm booking the chef's table!