“Nice meal but expensive”
Review of De Kas

De Kas
Ranked #69 of 3,855 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Netherlands
“Nice meal but expensive”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went for dinner with a group of colleagues from work. It was a set meal and enjoyable. I had a lot of different things that I would have never eaten at home. It was nice but expensive (thank goodness work was paying). It is set in a lovely venue but it was summer (and light late into the evening) so I didn't get to see the lovely candles and lights dancing on the glass of the building during dinner. I enjoyed my meal but I don't think that I have the need to go again. Unless someone else is paying...

• Visited June 2012

• Turkish first
Carlsbad, New Mexico
“I loved this place.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am vegan and the chef custom made all of my dishes and the server explained each of them to me in detail. It's a bit on the expensive side but everything is grown there (it translates to The Greenhouse), except for meats which are locally purchased. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank toddbeasley
UK
“Amazing restaurant”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

De Kas is amazing. The food, service and surroundings were flawless. When we visited the menu included salmon, lobster and veal steak, we did not have a negative word about any dish we were served. It is expensive but worth every penny and I would love to return.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank SimoneyUk
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Wow!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

De Kas is an amazing restaurant that you must go to while in Amsterdam. As other reviews have stated, the vegetables are grown on site in glass green houses. Our meal was paired with wine and was wonderful. Bring your camera so you can take pictures of the meal! It is a taxi ride from the city center, so arrange for a ride back to your hotel.

This experience was well worth the price.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Jeff M
Atlanta, GA
“Before Spending the Money, Have an Honest Conversation with Yourself”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I would like to think that we have highly developed palettes; however, we discovered that this is not actually the case. We came to this conclusion when we dined at Restaurant de Kas. Whereas all of the food was wonderfully prepared and the service above par, we are just not adventurous eaters. The meal started off with great wine (we payed for the wine pairing option). Appetizers were good until we got to the duck, which was so fresh (killed that morning on site) that the waiter noted that it might actually have buckshot in it). He wasn't joking.....

That would set the tone for the remainder of the meal, much of which was food that could be described as a little odd. Keep in mind, as I noted above, perhaps we were just not cultured enough to eat at an establishment such as this......with its lack of menu and limited substitution options.

My advice: just be sure that you are okay paying upwards of $200 on a dinner for two that could be a wildcard meal based on what is being served that particular evening.

• Visited September 2012