“Excellent vegetarian food”

De Bolhoed
Ranked #422 of 3,750 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent vegetarian food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Been here twice.
It is one of the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever tried. Their quiches are fantastic and filled with high-quality ingredients.
The atmosphere is nice, colorful and relaxed.

• Hebrew first
Oslo, Norway
“Food for everyone to enjoy!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Being a vegan/vegetarian in Amsterdam is not much work, you do get quite many options, and this one is for sure one you cannot miss!
We visited with my boyfriend and sister, me being the only vegetarian, and we all loved the food! Unfortunately they were building the road by the restaurant when we ate there, so it was a little hard to find, but well worth the effort! Try the daily specials!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect atmosphere, amazing food (incl. desserts)”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I first went to this restaurant about 4 years ago, and I returned this past week. Both times I ordered the "special of the day" -- which is exactly what you ought to try!!! It's €17.50 for a giant plate of many different types of food that aren't otherwise on the menu. This most recent time, my partner and I were able to split it -- we supplemented it with the Pate of the Day and a half-slice of 2 different cakes. And we had leftovers!!! Very filling.

NOTE: Both times, I had dinner around 7:30 or 8pm, so the special of the day had not run out, as some other reviewers have encountered.

The special of the day, this most recent time, included: an empanada filled with seitan mince (AMAZING); sweet potato fries with homemade guacamole (or was it homemade vegan mayonnaise?); kidney beans with tomatoes; rice with corn; cold stir-fried veggies incl. yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, and some whiteish vegetable I didn't recognize, covered in a fabulous homemade sauce; and a salad with a lovely homemade dressing.

The pate of the day was a tofu herb paste (served cold) to go on delicious toasted, warm bread. Our cakes were the Chocolate "Mud" Cake with raspberry and the vegan raspberry cheesecake. We loved both desserts, but agreed the cheesecake was a bit better -- more moist! We had a difficult time choosing at all, so the staff helped us out (and suggested the half-slice option). Other desserts were a vegan chocolate brownie with pecans on top, a whipped cream-topped fruit pie/cake, another type of (more typical) pie, an orange poppyseed cake, a non-vegan cheesecake.

The restaurant is also simply lovely. The outside is hard to recognize because it's basically a "secret garden" of an exterior -- almost completely covered in foliage. Inside, the tables are set so that there's a surprising amount of flow / space for an restaurant set in the city-center of Amsterdam. The walls are painted with friendly, warm spring colors, especially salmon-y pinks (if I remember correctly), and some designs and images painted over top. It's just a very picturesque, romantic arrangement. De Bolhoed also looks out over the Prinsengracht canal, which makes it a lovely walk to reach the establishment.

All-in-all: would definitely go again, and definitely recommend. It's not cheap, but the portions are large, so you can plan accordingly.

Bristol, England
“Laidback friendly vegetarian restaurant”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A very relaxed vegetarian restaurant with good food. The staff are young but it felt a bit like stepping back in time with a 'hippy'ish' air to it and the service sometimes seemed to match that, friendly but laidback in a way that could irritate you if you're in the wrong mood. But we weren't and throughly enjoyed it. The portions were big! I would say that the majority of the customers were tourists rather than locals but I think it's recommended by Lonely Planet.
I would guess that you could eat outside by the canal when it's warm but when we were there, the road outside was being dug up, so you'd need to check that.

Visited May 2013
“Fresh Vegetarian”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Tried this place on our last night in Amsterdam. Food was good and very fresh. I had the Greek salad, my wife got the soup of the day, and we split the guacamole dip as an appetizer. Room for improvement in regards to the service. Staff was in attentive, and the food took a really long time considering we just got soup/salad and guacamole.

Visited June 2013