“Perfect atmosphere, amazing food (incl. desserts)”
Review of De Bolhoed

De Bolhoed
Ranked #518 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I first went to this restaurant about 4 years ago, and I returned this past week. Both times I ordered the "special of the day" -- which is exactly what you ought to try!!! It's €17.50 for a giant plate of many different types of food that aren't otherwise on the menu. This most recent time, my partner and I were able to split it -- we supplemented it with the Pate of the Day and a half-slice of 2 different cakes. And we had leftovers!!! Very filling.

NOTE: Both times, I had dinner around 7:30 or 8pm, so the special of the day had not run out, as some other reviewers have encountered.

The special of the day, this most recent time, included: an empanada filled with seitan mince (AMAZING); sweet potato fries with homemade guacamole (or was it homemade vegan mayonnaise?); kidney beans with tomatoes; rice with corn; cold stir-fried veggies incl. yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, and some whiteish vegetable I didn't recognize, covered in a fabulous homemade sauce; and a salad with a lovely homemade dressing.

The pate of the day was a tofu herb paste (served cold) to go on delicious toasted, warm bread. Our cakes were the Chocolate "Mud" Cake with raspberry and the vegan raspberry cheesecake. We loved both desserts, but agreed the cheesecake was a bit better -- more moist! We had a difficult time choosing at all, so the staff helped us out (and suggested the half-slice option). Other desserts were a vegan chocolate brownie with pecans on top, a whipped cream-topped fruit pie/cake, another type of (more typical) pie, an orange poppyseed cake, a non-vegan cheesecake.

The restaurant is also simply lovely. The outside is hard to recognize because it's basically a "secret garden" of an exterior -- almost completely covered in foliage. Inside, the tables are set so that there's a surprising amount of flow / space for an restaurant set in the city-center of Amsterdam. The walls are painted with friendly, warm spring colors, especially salmon-y pinks (if I remember correctly), and some designs and images painted over top. It's just a very picturesque, romantic arrangement. De Bolhoed also looks out over the Prinsengracht canal, which makes it a lovely walk to reach the establishment.

All-in-all: would definitely go again, and definitely recommend. It's not cheap, but the portions are large, so you can plan accordingly.

There are newer reviews for De Bolhoed

Reviewed June 23, 2013

A very relaxed vegetarian restaurant with good food. The staff are young but it felt a bit like stepping back in time with a 'hippy'ish' air to it and the service sometimes seemed to match that, friendly but laidback in a way that could irritate you if you're in the wrong mood. But we weren't and throughly enjoyed it. The portions were big! I would say that the majority of the customers were tourists rather than locals but I think it's recommended by Lonely Planet.
I would guess that you could eat outside by the canal when it's warm but when we were there, the road outside was being dug up, so you'd need to check that.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Tried this place on our last night in Amsterdam. Food was good and very fresh. I had the Greek salad, my wife got the soup of the day, and we split the guacamole dip as an appetizer. Room for improvement in regards to the service. Staff was in attentive, and the food took a really long time considering we just got soup/salad and guacamole.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Amsterdam is known for its poor service and although sometimes that can be perceived as charming evidence of how the Dutch are so humble and down to earth other times it is just outright abusive. I have been to De Bolhoed 3 times in the last year and every time the behavior of the staff seems to rise to another level of rude. Recently I witnessed one of the members of the kitchen staff literally screaming abuse at a customer because of some kind of misunderstanding. Problems in communication happen all the time in the service industry but never in my life have I experienced the kind of outright hostility that took place on this day. The staff member was literally pounding his fists on the customers table and screaming threats of violence while the rest of the staff stood around and watched in perverse enjoyment. It was disgusting. Its a shame, because the Bolhoed has excellent food, even though it is extremely over priced (17 euros for lasagne). If your from Amsterdam then maybe the poor service and potential hostility wont bother you but if your from out of town then avoid this place at all costs because an encounter with the angry and embittered people that work here could easily ruin your day with a profound dose of toxic negativity.

3  Thank throneboogie
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went to this restaurant Friday night with my girlfriend... she isn't vego but loved the food. The atmosphere was really good, there was heaps of food made with fresh ingredients, and we were really full after dining. The restaurant is in a really nice part of Amsterdam but is still only an easy 10 minute walk into town and the red light district. There's a cool resident cat in the restaurant taking it very easy, adds to the atmosphere. There was a good choice of menu options, all sounding really good, tasty and healthy. The meals were wholesome but really tasty too, so if you are looking for a good meal whether you are veto or not then give this place a go... :)