“Great food, great views but no atmosphere”

Ciel Bleu Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 4,099 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Description: One of Amsterdam's most remarkable restaurants, situated on the 23rd floor of Hotel Okura Amsterdam, the Ciel Bleu Restaurant has been awarded two Michelin stars and, much like the adjacent Twenty Third Bar, offers a stunning panoramic view of Amsterdam's city centre. This breathtaking vista and the luxurious design, together with the personal hospitality, all combine to create a unique atmosphere. The Ciel Bleu Restaurant's ambitious kitchen staff serve an international cuisine, prepared with seasonal products and characterised by its innovation. The Sommelier's professionalism and close cooperation with Executive Chef and Manager Onno Kokmeijer results in a perfect harmony between wine and food. The Ciel Bleu Restaurant also offers three luxurious private areas: the Starlight Room, the Salon Panoramique, and the Chef's Table in the restaurant's kitchen.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked well in advance, having read so many good reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, we were impressed by the stunning backdrop that was the city of Amsterdam. After a few discussions on the working of the menu, we opted for the 4 course with wine pairing. Although the food was excellent and presentation original (Oreo cookies cone etc) we thought that the service was too fussy, the white gloves being awkwardly put on in front of us and the wait between each course was a bit too long. There was no intimacy and the room had a cold feeling. We ordered a cappuccino and it came with a stunning tray of chocolate and pastries (all you can choose) but that was a steep 18 euros. Buyer beware. So after a bill of 487 euros, the most we ever paid for a restaurant, we came back late but although there was a few things amiss, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience

2  Thank Toogreat

Reviewed September 12, 2013

After 10 minutes of settling in with the excellent service and calming ambience, my verbal comment to my dining partners was, 'an information packed, decision-laden' experience. This is an excellent dining experience and the service was a nice balance of expertise and relaxed humor. I suggest that one has to be in the right frame of mind - that you have to want to be involved in the details of the food and preparation because that is part of the experience. This was a business meal and my dining partners and I were very focused on one another, so this was slightly out of tune with our objectives. I will summarize by saying: this is a great place, but be prepared to give your time and attention to the service and the unfolding story of their very good food. We had fun, drank champagne throughout and the expense report will once again raise eyebrows. But business moved forward. :)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had dinner here in celebration of a birthday, was a bit concerned that it might be stuffy, but it was not at all.
The service and meal were excellent, combined with a breathtaking view. When I indicated that it was my first time sampling Wagyu beef, it was presented to me before cooking, and an explaination of the difference with other meat followed. There was a lovely surprise from the chef for the birthday girl. In summary, would respeat in a heartbeat, truly a memorable experience.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have eaten at Ciel Bleu a few times in the last few years, and I must say that this last visit was quite disappointing. The view is magnificent and is probably responsible for much of the 2 star rating. But the food which in my view should be the most important part really is not up to par. It is all beautifully presented, if minimalist, but in the end it should be about the flavour and taste which was lacking. The scallops/oyster/gin & tonic foam starter was far from a hit. The slow-cooked lamb was the only part of the 3 lamb presentations which was remarkable for its flavour. The rest was all very fussy and pretty but the taste was not there. We took the wine arrangement which was just OK- the Chablis was really not very interesting. In the end, I feel that there are many other restaurants in Amsterdam that give you better value for money.

1  Thank Kaz P
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been to Ciel Bleu many times for a one reason... it is always a great experience. The food, wines and service are at the highest level, and if you experience Dutch service in any other restaurant, you know you have to appreciate the Okura Hotel (where the restaurant is located).
For many visitors the restaurant is one of the very few places in Amsterdam where you can see the panorama of the city. The view is amazing during the day and romantic in the night as the city brightens with the street lamps.
I recommend seasonal menu, which changes 4 or 5 times a year and it based on fresh local products available in the season.For wines lovers option with wine is simply a must. Restaurant head sommelier Noël Vanwittenbergh can serve not only wine but also stories and you would enjoy every sip as he takes you with his stories to vineyards over the world.
What makes Ciel Bleu so special is also presentation of the courses and attention to the detail. Every dish is simply a state of art - it is a feast for your eyes.
The waiters are well trained and provide a very good service in accordance to classic etiquette, which I appreciate a lot. From table setting, change of napkins, small puff chair for a purse for a lady etc.
Price-wise... expensive - although the experience is surely worth it.I would recommend it for couples, friends and business but would discourage anyone who wants to come with small children. If you go on your own, you surely will enjoy it but sharing the experience with someone else would make it even more special.