“A great surprise France in Amsterdam”
Review of Christophe - CLOSED

Christophe
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Jean-Joël Bonsens and Ellen Mansfield have owned the Christophe op de Leliegracht restaurant since 1st January 2006. The restaurant has a French-Mediterranean cuisine, with an extensive and fitting wine list. The interior is cosmopolitan, with a separate room for a maximum of 12 people. The menu changes in line with the seasons. There are two set menus in addition to the a la carte menu, respectively priced at ?46 and ?66. The specialities are terrine of duck liver marinated in Jurançon wine and a ragout of sea lobster with cocoa beans.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Discovered this restaurant in passing, decided it was worth a try from the daily menu on the blackboard, but switched myself to the menu Christophe, the degustation menu, wow what a great move it was a wonderful assault of flavours. I finished off with the cheese board which was just amazing, though would have been improved by an offer of a glass of port or wine to accompany it.
A couple of things detracted from the enjoyment of my meal, firstly there was a table of absolute oafs who discussed their sexual conquests over more and more wine (I guess in Amsterdam I shouldn't be that surprised). In spite of a note at the bottom of the menu requesting guestbnotbtomuse mobile phones, a person accompanying a large group consistently used hers with no attempt to control it by the restaurant - I guess money talks

Overall a great experience, i will return and try the daily menu (maybe!)

There are newer reviews for Christophe

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Very relaxed and a most excellent dining experience. The restaurant came highly recommended from a friend and delighted they didn't disappoint ! I made an online reservation prior to arriving in Amsterdam. Beautiful courses, magnificent taste ... wonderful people, genuine and warm ... must return.

1  Thank joshpirt
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Looks good from the outside with all the candles lit (why don't we do this in the UK) and even better on the inside. We tried the "Menu du Marché" at 36 euros and tried items we would not normally have chosen. If you are on a budget ask for a jug of water, 75cl Evian cost 7 euros and ask for house wine as this is not on the menu. Great service and great location. We look forward to coming back when we are next in Amsterdam. I hope it won't be too long.

1  Thank Ineedtochill
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My friend and I enjoyed this restaurant very much and they seemed pleased to have us as guests!! The service was warm and friendly, but not intrusive. The food was excellent and the atmosphere stylish. We enjoyed trying several different wines by the glass. Christophe may be seen as a fine dining restaurant, but it is definitely not one of the stuffy ones. It is a short walk from the Toren hotel.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Maybe it's the intimate atmosphere, the location on a small canal, the professional yet warm service or maybe it's the well executed dishes, but this is one of my favorite restaurants in Europe. And we have eaten at many of the best. Whenever we are in Amsterdam, we make sure we dine here. We dined at Christophe a few weeks ago and we were not disappointed. Our kids joined us in Amsterdam for a long weekend and we all very much enjoyed the use of local ingredients that were well prepared. My husband and I had the lamb which was perfectly cooked. Our daughter tried the vegetarian starter and entree which she liked very much. Instead of trying to pair our varied dishes with wine, we asked the sommelier to do the wine pairing for us. She choose well and this turned out to be a very cost effective way for us to enjoy our varied dishes.