“Great food, poor service!”
Review of Cafe Thijssen

Cafe Thijssen
Ranked #486 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This cafe is in a great location right on one of the main canals, with a huge patio and good seating inside also. The food and coffee was great and food portions were huge. Its a shame that due to the poor and unfriendly service, I did not return even though i was staying a block away. I sat down for almost 15 min before someone came to take my coffee order. She did not wait half a second for me to voice my choice for a meal. Hence i waited another 10 min until she brought my coffee and felt rushed to give her my order as she looked very irritated. I got up to pay at the bar, as trying to get her attention to bring my bill was not an option. i guess many locals frequent this place and they are used to this kind of service. I feel i wasted an extra 40 min of my time just waiting and trying to catch the waitress's attention.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Thijssen

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Full of local Dutch people, could have been great but I had to remind them they'd forgotten my order. It wasn't busy an the order was for a croissant with butter. Friends said their rosaries were fairly average too. Cappuccino was lovely but small.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Love the location of this cafe we were introduced to it by some Dutch friends. Had soup here twice French onion and tomato both were exceptional. Great service from very friendly staff .

Reviewed July 11, 2013

After hours of walking, we settled at Cafe Thijssesn mainly because it was close to our Hotel in the Jordaan area. We sat outside: small tables with both table and menus needing a good cleaning. Chairs were small and close together, typical cafe style. Service was initially ok, but as time went on we never saw the male server again. We had to go inside to order more to drink, and saw that one poor girl was managing the whole place on her own! My daughter ordered chicken bites and spring rolls; all fried and not very good. Nice quiet neighborhood place to grab a quick drink if you are just relaxing..save your food money for another cafe.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, a really nice chilled out eatery/drinkery. A good selection of proper beers ( rather than the awful genero-froths - Amstel, Heineken, Grolsch). Simple food (sandwiches toasties), a decent apple pie. Loved it.