“Unique location, setting, and menu, but wrong choice”
Review of Blauw aan de Wal

Blauw aan de Wal
Ranked #152 of 4,304 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: You can find Restaurant Blauw aan de Wal In the middle of the Red Light District of Amsterdam. Surrounded by the red lights, the swaying glances and the rich history. Through the clamour of the streets a small alley leads to an attractive courtyard with an old warehouse. This is where chef and owner Daan Olthuis and his team cook changing menu with a modest passion and inspiring seasonal products. The extensive wine list is carefully attuned to the menu.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I tried this small, intimate, and unique restaurant in the Red Light district the night before boarding our river cruise. We were greeted warmly and the server sat with us to explain the menu choices. We opted for the three course meal with wine pairings. My husband had fish and I had the pork selection. The first course we shared one of each offering and had cheese selections for the dessert. Everything was excellent . Service great, but not overbearing.

We left about 10:00 pm. By the time we returned to our hotel and got ready for bed, I was violently sick. It took me four full days to fully recover. Not sure I can eat pork again for a very long time.
I have never experienced this before. Most likely an aberration, but unfortunately, we can not recommend and would not return. We were considering Ciel Bleu and opted for the unique location. Clearly, the wrong decision.

1  Thank SouthernBelle069

Reviewed March 27, 2014

A colleague from Amsterdam recommended this place, knowing my husband and I are serious foodies. So glad we followed her advice for our first night here. One of the best meals I've had in many years of travel here on both business and pleasure.

This is gourmet, chef's menu stuff. Don't come here if you're a picky eater or want to dine and dash. The menu offers three courses, with just two choices each; you can add a fourth between starter and main (no variety of choice on that one.) But they do accommodate allergies. My husband is allergic to tomato ... always a curve ball for kitchens due to the ubiquity of tomato paste as a base in sauces ... but they were able to quickly concoct alternatives to give him the full experience.

We tried both options for starter, me a cauliflower panna cotta topped with a local oyster and quenelles of fish roe and cucumber and gin jelly. (I need to try that last at home!) I was impressed, but my husband's lamb tartare was the star of the meal. So good we asked for the recipe and they sent it at 1:30 this morning, when ... had I worked a full service in a very busy restaurant ... I would have wanted to just get home!

We had the optional extra course, of course, a delicate smoked eel arranged artistically with a variety of well-chosen elements. Before rolling in to perfectly-done steak in a foie gras-laced sauce. Then a dark chocolate pudding somewhere between a mousse and a flourless torte, sparked with vodka-soaked cherries.

We went with the matching wine flight; a glass with each course. All very well considered, thoughtful matches. Most evident on the starter where we had different things, thus different wines, and could really see how their choices brought out the food. Several selections new to us and worthy of writing down for future pursuit.

Like those austere white Dutch church interiors, the design here doesn't give the chef anywhere to hide. While the restaurant's down a charming lane (off the seedy yet visually-interesting red light district), once inside it's a white cube with white-clothed tables and design-free plates. All your attention is focused on the food, as it should be.

At just over 100 euro per person, this was about 15% less than the equivalent quality in London. Not a cheap night out but if you're looking for a gourmet experience, good value for your money.

1  Thank BencardsBites
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a special spot due to its location and building. In the past it has always been reliable for good quality and I have sent many business relations and friends here. It was time to go again myself. It started well enough, but a misstep left me disappointed and I won't rush back. We selected 3 couses from the fixed menu, but when the bill came they charged us for 4 because we had had the dish between appetizer and main course instead of cheese or dessert. To me that is just penny-wise and pound foolish, and not welcoming. And hardly logical.

2  Thank NDCGlobetrotter
Reviewed March 18, 2014

You are in the red light district and you come into an nondescript restaurant on a small lane .. Only the recommendation we had, stops us from leaving .. ..

We go upstairs , small room , no decor , white walls ..nothing special at all ..
The menu is very simple a choice between two appetizers , one middle dish and two maincourses
It is fantastically good ! Exquisite !
The pressed octopus was excellent , the scallops/langoustines risotto fabulous and the tuna served practically raw in its ginger broth exceptional in its creativity , freshness and taste . The chef is going to go very far !
Bravo , congratulations !!!!!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Fabulous! highly recommend this amazing restaurant. From the excellent service of the staff to the delicious food, this is a unique dining experience.