“Too posh for me!”

Blauw aan de Wal
Ranked #243 of 3,750 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Too posh for me!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We decided to explore the red light district before dinner. It didn’t feel seedy here at all, just full of tourists like us checking out the area. If anything, it was simply a pleasant stroll along another of Amsterdam’s many canals.
We found a restaurant down an alleyway that was surprisingly upmarket. It was called Blauw aan de Wal (Blue on the quay). Normally you would need to book to get in here, but we were shown to a table up on the second floor. Although this is a top restaurant, there were only two choices of starter on the menu, and likewise only two choices of main course. I went with some sort of salmon and oysters concoction as my starter, but I wasn’t keen on the texture. For main I got raw tuna in ginger broth, and was similarly unimpressed. To be fair, everyone else in our party were impressed with their meals, so maybe it was just too posh for me!

Katy, Texas
“Food was great. Servers were very nice, but there were small errors.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The food was delicious and well presented, but the servers forgot to bring out one of our course. Even without that course, our meal lasted over three hours. I am not one to rush through a European dining experience, but the time between course was ridiculously long.

As far as ambience, it is right in the heart of the red light district and right next to a sex show theater, but it is in a courtyard between buildings, so once you are seated, you can not tell what is going on in the street.

I would certainly try this place again with more realistic expectations about how long the meal would take. Also, be sure to have a reservation.

1 Thank JayPDub
London, United Kingdom
“Total miss on delivery”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Sorry guys. Great food (pricey). Excellent presentation. Interesting location and seating outdoors is good. But the delivery was so abysmal and the wait staff just don't get it. I had to demand menus after thirty minutes of sitting. We didn't even get our main course until 2:40 after we arrived. My business dinner was a shambles. We didn't even bother to stay for dessert, we had all had enough of interminable waiting. Te waiters managed to ignore our table for over 30 minutes at one stretch. And yes, all our glasses were empty. A this price, poor service is unacceptable. Five business colleagues of mine all agree. Major miss.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank winterson66
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Garden of Eden in the red light district”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

If you search for a nice restaurant in Amsterdam, don't be stopped by where it is located. The restaurant is in a courtyard away from the RLD chaos. The food is fantastic and the service is top, you won't find a better one in A'dam. Discrete but still attentive to your every need. The house is also recommending their preferred wine on the list, and it was fantastic! And of course the food was very tasty.

1 Thank Sandra H
London, England, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

One of my best dining experiences ever! We were a little unsure about booking this restaurant in the heart of the red light area, but don't let that put you off (it's actually quite interesting!).
The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. A small but imaginative menu, great individual service, and an unconventional wine list, with many wines available by the glass.
They were keen to explain every detail of each course and recommended some excellent wines to go with the food (that I would never have known to choose)
The atmosphere was relaxed and so we spent several hours enjoying the evening.
Highly recommended.
(However quite expensive given the current GBP/Euro exchange rate)

1 Thank Kevin M