“Magnificent”

Ranked #5 of 4,714 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Elegance, tradition and hospitality are the core traits of one of Amsterdam’s finest restaurants, de Silveren Spiegel (the Silver Mirror). The restaurant dates from the Dutch Golden Age, the 17th century, so you can experience the ambiance of this time period. Breathtaking surroundings and a lovely diner. Private rooms for special occasions, parties or business meetings available.
Reviewed September 1, 2016 via mobile

An evening to remember always. The four course sampler coupled with a recommended wine was like a fireworks celebration of the taste buds. We found ourselves taking small bites and holding them in our mouths to savor the flavors and contrasts. The quality of the food was beyond reproach as was the service. Between courses we were entertained with a narrative of the history of the building, the restaurant, the original family and the City itself presented in small vignettes. All in all as close to heaven as you can get while sitting down.

Date of visit: September 2016
Jim H H, Eigenaar at de Silveren Spiegel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your de Silveren Spiegel experience on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased that you found your diner perfect and delicious, and that you received exceptional service. Our team take great pride in what they do and we will surely share your compliments with them. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in restaurant de Silveren Spiegel .

Reviewed September 1, 2016

My wife and I each ordered the three course menu and could not have been more pleased. The flavors were fresh and intense, especially the locally-sourced salad items and vegetables that accompanied the first two courses. The main course of Dutch beef loin was cooked to perfection, medium rare, and was tender and juicy. I also added the wine pairing and was impressed by the quality of the wines chosen and how they complemented the courses. We were early in the dinner hour and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and attentive service, but of course that changed as the dining room filled up. It's a beautiful old building with an interesting history so we tried to appreciate the ambiance as much as the cuisine.

2  Thank Anaco_Angler

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your praising words. It is a pleasure to learn that you had such a lovely evening with us in Amsterdam. Your kind review is shared with the team and it fills us all with joy to read that the service and food was to your liking. Thank you once again for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 30, 2016

I just returned from a trip to Amsterdam. De Silveren Spiegel‬ was such an incredible dining experience that we returned the following evening for another evening of fantastic food, wonderful wine and probably the best wait staff that I ever experienced. We choose the chef's tasting menu both evenings and they are not to be missed!

I could go on and on raving about De Silveren Spiegel‬ but the best advice I can give is don't miss the opportunity. Don't miss it!

1  Thank -88-Wolf_Schanze

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your praising words about your dinner in restaurant de Silveren Spiegel We are honored to read that we are in your TOP of your list. How wonderful that you experienced the culinary delights of de Silveren Spiegel Dutch cuisine by our passionate cooks and the extraordinary service of our serving staff. We will pass on your compliments to them. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here tonight. I had the four course menu and my wife ordered a la carte. I will only comment on my experience on this review. The first course was the ocean sausage and it was very good and uniquely flavorful. The second course of scallops St. Jacques was also very good and the champagne sauce was exceptional. The problem I had was with the third course, the main entree which was the Dutch beef loin. It was cooked medium rare which was just how I liked it and the au juice was very good. The meat was very thin and was not tender. I could not cut it with a steak knife. The vegetables that it was paired with was very good and if I were a vegetarian I would give 41/2 stars instead of the 3 stars.

Date of visit: August 2016
Jim H H, Eigenaar at de Silveren Spiegel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

Dear Ron H,

I am sorry to read your comment in which you write and not your wife that your recent diner was not to your full satisfaction. If you do not know the difference, you should not order Dutch Beef Loin it is not Filet Mignon or Tenderlion $$$$$$.The structure of Dutch Beef Loin is different with more taste and with a fare price on the menu. I feel very exaggerated what you write because the plates were empty. We you don’t complain it the same evening personally and discussed with us during your stay in our restaurant and a satisfactory solution was offered about the food. The satisfaction of our guests is our priority and we are delighted to have exceeded your expectations. See all other reviews about the same Dutch Beef Loin or food.

For this reason you can imagine that I am rather surprised to read your negative review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you wife eaten well.

Thank you.

Reviewed August 29, 2016

We had dinner here the evening of my son's 21st birthday. I had called the restaurant in advance and had requested a bottle of champagne to be at our table when we arrived. I got a non-committal response and assumed the worst. I could not have been more wrong. On arrival, the hostess went right past me and gave my startled and embarrassed son a huge hug and escorted us to our table which came with a bottle of champagne attached! It got better from there -- the food, which I would describe as contemporary Dutch was sublime, the wine list was extensive and reasonably priced and the service was superb. Our excellent waiter, Christophe, deserves a special mention for service over and above. A truly memorable evening in every way. We can't wait to go back.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for this delightful review about your recent dinner at de Silveren Spiegel.
We are really happy that you took the time to comment your experience in our restaurant
The support of our guests is extremely rewarding for our team and we really appreciate your compliments about the impeccable service you received.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to your Amsterdam house from 1614.