Tripadvisor
Amsterdam
Post
Inbox
Search

“Fun, relaxed home cooked diner”
Review of Caro Kookt

Caro Kookt
Ranked #1,483 of 5,118 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: In my cozy kitchen, I serve you a tasty meal with the preference for the use of local and organic products. My cooking style is Mediterranean, with a nod to the Dutch kitchen. On Friday night, you are welcome to join me and other guessts at the kitchen table for a hearty meal.
Reviewed April 15, 2016

I have been traveling alone for a month and wanted a comforting home cooked meal. The group was so fun, many laughs! Caro was very easy going and hospitable, just what I wanted. And the food tasted very fresh and flavorful! She takes a lot of pride in selecting the food herself (she hand picked the olives). It included bread, truffle ravioli, stuffed Greek chicken, vegetables, clafoutis (pear with pancake batter- amazing). As much wine as you want, limoncello with dessert and then coffee or tea. Perfectly filling without feeling too full. I would recommend to anyone, even locals. She even gave me several insider tips for what to do in the city. What a great night with Caro!

Date of visit: April 2016
Write a reviewReviews (26)

Reviewed March 6, 2016

Several years ago while exploring a quaint little street a few steps from the Prinsengracht Canal in the lovely Jordaan area of Amsterdam, we were fortunate enough to pass by Caro's kitchen and found her "custom card holder" on the outside of her window frame announcing her unique dining experience and special home cooked meals prepared right in her spacious kitchen - and you are asked to be part of the food preparation and get a cooking lesson if you desire! We have been back each time we come to Amsterdam and consider this one of the most authentic "Dutch" experiences you could ever ask for!

Most recently while in the NL to enjoy the SAIL Amsterdam tall ships festival this past August, we reserved an evening at Caro's to take our friends to enjoy this one of a kind dining experience. Caro prepared a very special menu for us that included a wonderful BBQ Lobster entree that was fresh from across the ocean close to where we live. Our friends who are "foodies" loved the chance to sip wine and help Caro with the food preparation and even learned a few tips from her! Everything from the bread and dipping sauce to the fresh local vegetables, cheeses and whipped strawberry shortcake dessert could not have been better. And Caro picked all of the wines with a different one to accompany each course and she even surprised us with several unusual beer choices too!

We spent an entire evening enjoying this one of a kind experience and Caro was the most gracious host one could ever ask for. Our friends still talk about this experience and hope to return the next time they go to Holland.

We had such a nice time with Caro that we invited her to join us on our boat tour to view the tall ships during the SAIL festival and we were so pleased to have her join us and she surprised us with some of the best dipping snacks we have had - a perfect touch during out afternoon on the water! Even the owner and captain of the boat complimented Caro on how great her snacks were!

Caro has gone out of her way each time we have been to her place to make us feel welcome and has shared so many bits of "Dutch" information that we would have never known without our connection to her. She is able to prepare any type of meal for all tastes and dietary requirements and if you are lucky enough to visit her on a Saturday she may just let you come with her to the uber fresh biological market just down the canal at the Noordermarket and Lindengracht and she will introduce you to the local vendors she buys all of her fresh ingredients from!

We recommend this special happening for anyone who desires an off the beaten path experience that you cannot find anywhere else in Amsterdam. Thank you Caro - we will be back on our next trip to Amsterdam!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed March 2, 2016

We had a great chat and it was nice hearing from people who live around for us travellers. Though we were hoping to taste some home cooked dutch food. Caro decided to go French this week. Unfortunately it wasn't good, I wouldn't say that it was French. Overall food was alright and drinks was charged at a low price. Caro was very kind to us.

Date of visit: February 2016
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Caro K, Owner at Caro Kookt, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2016

Hi Shan,

So sorry to hear that you did'nt enjoy the food. On booking I suggested a french dinner I wrote to you: "Dear Shan, since I'm in France at the moment, I'll change it to something lovely French, if that is alright with you all." You replied to my text with: " Dear Caro,That'll be lovely! "

The menu was: Braised French soft cheese with Calvados and Rye bread, Boeuf Bourguignon and a pear Clafoutis as desert. I think, more French you can't have ;)

Next time you'r in Amsterdam, please do come by and say hello, you are most welcome!
Regards,
Caro

Reviewed January 18, 2015

Caro was absolutely amazing! Such a down to earth, polite, very friendly and considerate host. Food was above par and our only complaint was that we couldn't go again! If you read this Caro, thank you for the experience! You have a beautiful house in a beautiful location. All the best!

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our experience was one of our favorites in Amsterdam. If and when we go back, going back to Caro's house is an obvious choice. My mouth is still watering thinking about the lamb she made us!

My husband and visited Amsterdam on our honeymoon and had reservations here for a Friday night group dinner. Caro cooks in her own kitchen, and we sat outside in her garden with 6 Dutch people (probably 40-somethings-- and we are late 20s.) who also had reservations.

Wonderful location-- right near the Anne Frank house so it's easy to find. Beautiful house and kitchen. Although the meal was amazing and gourmet and fancy, she was very relaxed and calm so we never felt out-of-place, even though everyone was speaking Dutch besides us! (They often translated for us to include us in the conversation, and Caro translated all of the descriptions for us.)

We began with 2 giant pieces of bread that we cut herself and dipped in olive oil and homemade aoili, plus olives that she had picked herself in Tuscany and pickled herself (!!!!!!!), had a beautiful light soup for the first course, delicious lamb with salad and the most amazing potatoes for the main course, and a cream pie with a wonderfully flaky crust for dessert. The wine was paired wonderfully and affordable (she charged us 2,50 a glass-- a steal.) After dinner, she offered coffee and tea, including espresso, cappuccino, whatever we wanted, and seconds if we wanted it for no extra charge.

The meal cost 18,50, but she is raising prices to 25-- all I can say is, at either price, I felt like I was robbing her. It is absolutely worth the cost and much more affordable than what you would pay for something similar at a restaurant. Plus, you get to talk to her, ask her questions, and meet other people. We ended the night with some really interesting conversations about Dutch and American culture. We were there until past 10 at night, just talking with everyone and sipping coffee.

We also enjoyed watching her feed bits of lamb to her adorable old, blind Jack Russell terrier.

I would do it again, and sincerely hope I get to one day! Thank you so much, Caro!!!!

Date of visit: July 2014