“Marathon stay”

Ranked #78 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Turku, Finland
“Marathon stay”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Nessie's place was wonderful.

Easy to get to from the airport, just take the train to Amsterdam Suid (10 minutes) and walk for 10 minutes and you are there. Also, very convenient for the marathon we were in Amsterdam to run - just 1 km from the Olympic Stadium where the run starts and ends.

As mentioned in previous reviews, very tidy and nice - that's why Nessie is quite strict with the tidiness rules (and a good thing that is too!). Word of warning for the 'mericuns: you are expected to not walk in your dirty shoes inside, so take them off at the porch.

Excellent breakfast. Some people have complained about not having enough this or that in the breakfast - surprisingly enough, were we lacking something, asking more helped quite well.

A nice touch was Nessie putting our sparkling into the fridge when we forgot, and had champagne glasses waiting for us - after all, for three of us, this was our first marathon ever.

Room Tip: Both rooms are nice, one is somewhat bigger than the other.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kai K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a pleasant experience! The accommodation was very clean and well taken care off. The public transport was nearby and 10 minutes from the center. We had immediately a good impression. The housekeeper was delightful. She gave us lots of useful information and a map that we used the whole trip. The breakfast was lovely. We recommend this b&b to everyone.

Lots of greetings,
Sofia Gudushauri & Manu Christiaens

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was attending a conference in Amsterdam back in September, and booked 5 nights at this lovely B&B. I stayed here the previous year on another trip. I have been to Amsterdam many times and have stayed in a number of fine hotels which I have grown tired of. My two stays at the Garden View was nothing short of refreshing.

I would say both visits were excellent, very clean rooms and consistent service. Beds were very comfortable, breakfast was delicious and timely. The proprietor was very open for suggestions for my varied morning tastes and variety. There are a few requests made of the quests, like taking off your shoes when entering, and making sure the entry door is securely locked, but this is no different than I would expect at a stay in a friend's house.

This place would be an excellent place to stay for both couples and singles who want to come back to a quiet place to stay, who are naturally courteous of others. This is not a fit for late night loud inconsiderate people or drunken louts.

I plan to be in Amsterdam next fall, and will be contacting them for yet another stay. I give this place a very high recommendation.

Roger
Denver, CO

Room Tip: There are 2 rooms. I only stayed in the double room which is the one with the pictures. The pictures...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the first visit to Amsterdam for my wife and me. We wanted a “base” location to stay for about a week that was close to the city core, reasonably priced, and yet far enough away from the downtown din that we felt like we were getting a break from it when we wanted.

Nessie’s Garden View B&B hit everything just right for us. The location was convenient from the airport, in a pleasant residential area adjoining a canal, and had all the basic necessities located within a couple blocks. It was far enough away from downtown that you got a break from the touristy hustle when you so desired, and yet you were never more than a 15 minute tram trip from any museums or city center activities. And Nessie’s offering of the use of museum passes was an unexpected plus. For the two of us it saved significant cost and time (museum pass holders often get to avoid the long general ticket lines) getting into the Anne Frank house, the Rijks, the Hermitage, and the Van Gogh (currently also in the Hermitage).

As other reviewers have commented Nessie does take some time with you when you check in. We found this to be an incredibly helpful experience, and she saved us making lots of very touristy mistakes with her simple advice and questions about what we were looking to experience. For example, her restaurant suggestions fit our specific requests and her advice was invaluable in helping us search out other particular interests we had.

Nessie’s breakfasts provided a tasty and substantial start to the day, and in October the namesake garden view offered a rustic respite as the birds chirped away during our breakfasts.

For us the critical question about lodging is would we go back? The answer in this case is yes, in a heartbeat. ‘Nuff said!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victorville, California
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My first trip to Amsterdam, and it didn't disappoint!
Garden View was an ideal bed and breakfast - a real home in a real neighborhood. Very clean and comfortable. It helps to be able to smoke on the balcony outside the bedroom instead of having to leave the building and smoke on the street.

The owner was very helpful with tips on things to see and do. The tram (trolly) into town is like a real sightseeing tour! All different periods of architecture - from the 20th century through to the 17th century. The canal boat tour was only 1 hour, but well worth it.

Favorite place to eat: the neighborhood cafe called De Hut. The staff is friendly and the food is delicious and reasonably priced. If you order the marinated spare ribs, be prepared to take left overs: the portions are huge! One order is actually enough for 2 people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank D C
New York
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just returned from my 3rd visit to Amsterdam in 2 years, and it was just as enjoyable as the last time. Garden View seems to get better with every visit: clean, quiet, welcoming! Just total relaxation. Still a pleasure to have coffee overlooking the garden, which is all green now (in the spring there are lots of flowers). The new mini-bar with free drinks is a great addition and the owner is a great help, as usual. Always makes me feel at home - I'm already planning my next visit!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the garden and are good choices. Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank joanvmacdonald
canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are a middle aged couple who travelled the UK and Europe for 2 weeks.
Amsterdam and Garden View was our last stop. We have stayed at many B & B's and
stayed exclusively at B & B's during our time in Europe.

This is not a typical B & B. Yes, there is a Bed, and yes, there is breakfast,
but I would consider it more like staying in a room in someone's apartment then
staying at a B & B. The main reason we stayed here was because the B & B we
wanted recommended Garden View. Otherwise the alarm bells would have gone off
louder....I just kept telling myself, why would such a highly rated B and B
recommend a bad facility?

Let's start with the good bits, because there certainly were some. First of all
the location is great, no time or trouble to get to the sites.

The room is pretty and the bed is comfortable. Things are clean.

The museum passes were appreciated, we had to leave a 50 Euro deposit for them.

The breakfast is certainly plentyful and delicious. We were advised not to
leave any food because the owner does not care for waste. We received one pot
of jam on the 1st day, and used half a pot of it. The half pot of jam was left
for us and we did not receive jam the next day. Good thing my husband didn't
want any! Coffee was kind of scarce, we were asked how much we wanted but didn't get it.

Now on to the not so good bits. The name is Garden View. I suppose there is a
garden, what I saw was a lot of overgrown weeds and about 10 garbage bags.
There is a small veranda off the room, there were 4 plants, 2 dead and 2 alive.
There was a box for flowers on the railing but it was empty. I have photos.

There is no window in the room. There is a big patio door but we didn't
think we should sleep with that open. We found out later it was a closed in
courtyard.

There is no vanity mirror in the room. The only mirror is above the large table
used for eating, which makes it difficult to apply make up and do your hair.
There is no plug there that I could find.
This is an issue because there is no private bath.

Ah, the bath. Well, I have never shared a bath before. Should have known this
maybe wasn't for me. This is a personal preference, perhaps for some it would
be fine. There is a separate room for the toilet, from the shower. However,
there is not a complete wall between the two. So when you are on the toilet and
someone goes into the shower room, you don't really have privacy, if you ask me.
There is a list of rules in both rooms. These are not rules of the "would you
kindly" variety. So, if you don't mind cleaning a bit while you are on holiday,
this may be the place for you.

Now, onto your hostess. In my experience most owners are very good with people,
helpful, considerate and accommodating. Not so at Garden View.

The first problem was I had tickets to Anne Frank at 10 a.m. You see, this was
a lifelong dream of mine, to see this house, since I was a young girl. I was
advised, that I wasn't going to make it "if I wanted to have breakfast here."
Breakfast is at 9 a.m. and that's it. Now this did not give us sufficient time
to make our appointment. Any other host would have offered for an 8:45
breakfast, or to pack us something. There is after all, only two rooms. Not
here--9:00 on the dot. This differed greatly from Paris where the owner packed
us a huge take away and offered to get up -- at 5 a.m. So we took off at 9:10 and ran alot. (I later found out that I could have been late to Anne Frank House. But I didn't know this at the time.)

As a courtesy, because I know some owenrs do change linen every day. I advised
her not to bother. I was told, "This is not a hotel!" The manner I was told
this was as if I was some kind of princess idiot.
It is very difficult to explain the hosts manner. For example, I had a number of
recommendations from a collegue from Amsterdam, for restaurants and the like.
But because they didn't come from her, or she didn't know the restaurants, they
were looked upon as if we were doing something stupid. Because SHE wouldn't eat
a Frinkandal, well we shouldn't either.

I don't know if the owner smokes or not, but the shared hallway smelled like
cigarette smoke.

There was a child who runs around upstairs, and we also heard piano playing.
Not huge issues but maybe worth mentioning--neither of these were late at night
but the child running was in the early a.m.

Maybe this experience just wasn't what we were used to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple