House of Bols, the Cocktail & Genever Experience
Buy Tickets Online
$19.90*
House of Bols Cocktail and Genever Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The House of Bols Cocktail & Genever Experience (located opposite the Van Gogh Museum) offers a truly interactive experience into the world of cocktails and the exciting bartending culture, as well as a glimpse into the history of the world's oldest distilled brand: Bols Amsterdam 1575. A visit to the House of Bols is a spectacular journey for all your senses in which you learn how to taste a delicious cocktail of your choice. Learn even more about Cocktails, Bols Liqueurs and Genevers and book a Tasting or a (private) event like a Cocktail Party or Cocktail Workshops.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Originally we weren't really sure whether to go but decided to anyway since it was across the road from the Van Gogh Museum. We were so glad that we went because it was so much fun! It really is an experience for the senses.. You get a free cocktail of your choice as well as shots. I had the Toblerone cocktail and my partner had the Strawberry Cheesecake.. I loved the Toblerone and finished it too quickly. A fun time indeed!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,922)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was ok, a bit pricey, and no real tour to speak of. The cocktails were awesome though but I don't think you would be missing out if you didn't go

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I met up with my college roommate in Amsterdam, and it seemed like everything we meant to do kept messing up. My map didnt print, so I figured I'd go in blind using signs on the street, and she (usually unsuccessfully) tried to take advantage of Google Maps. As a result of all our walking in circles, we kept arriving at attractions later than we meant to, thus missing out on a houseboat of cats and the Van Gogh museum. However, when we started walking away from Museumplein, I spotted House of Bols and remembered having read something briefly about it while researching Amsterdam, so I suggested we go. I figured if it ended up being no fun, at least the €14.50 wouldn't go to waste because we could just say we had a super expensive cocktail.

The €14.50 didn't go to waste.

When we entered, the lady behind the desk quickly explained the Bols brand, family, and Genever to us, and did nothing to hind the transparency of the marketing campaign we'd just forked over what (for us) is a decent chunk of money.

However, once we walked down the stairs and into the exhibit, it didn't take long for my skepticism about whether I'd just wasted money to disappear. The different sections were fascinating, and I somehow realized I'd flown KLM numerous times without ever realizing that the little houses contained alcohol - though considering I'd been flying to a dry country, they probably didn't.

Our favorite portion was probably the Tasting and Smelling portion. We were also excited to see a Rembrandt painting because we felt we could then justify our foray into House of Bols over one of the many (closing) art museums nearby. In the end, we got our drinks. My friend's was delicious, though I forgot the name, and mine was kind of bland and watery. It also didn't hurt that the bartender was incredibly easy on the eyes. (There were also two shots of your choosing at the end. My friend thought I was crazy for wanting to try the aged Genever instead of something we'd smelled, but I was curious.)

I wouldn't suggest this over another attraction you're interested in, but if you have an hour to kill, it's definitely worth it.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was a fun activity. While it's quite a short tour, things like the perfume room were really interesting. The free cocktails at the end were definitely the best part!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was a nice surprise to our trip to Amsterdam. We went here as we had done most of things we wanted to and so thought we'd give House of Bols a visit.

The tour is all very interesting and interactive, but the free cocktails and watching the professional bartenders do their work was the real treat.

Would definitely recommend!