“Will definitely be back!”

House of Bols, the Cocktail & Genever Experience
Book In Advance
More Info
$23.96*
and up
Amsterdam Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Optional Canal Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: The House of Bols Cocktail & Genever Experience (located opposite the Van Gogh Museum) offers a truly interactive experience into the world of cocktails and the exciting bartending culture, as well as a glimpse into the history of the world's oldest distilled brand: Bols Amsterdam 1575. A visit to the House of Bols is a spectacular journey for all your senses in which you learn how to taste a delicious cocktail of your choice. Learn even more about Cocktails, Bols Liqueurs and Genevers and book a Tasting or a (private) event like a Cocktail Party or Cocktail Workshops.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Will definitely be back!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had purchased an I Amsterdam card and so got 25% off entry to the House of Bols. The exhibit itself was very good with a smell room, game about taste and even a cocktail and two free shots at the end of the tour; our tour was self guided which allowed us to walk around at our own pace. However, the main positive factor about our visit was the lady at the receptionist desk, who's name we unfortunately didn't get. I managed to leave my camera on the cocktail bar at the end and didn't notice until I'd gotten to NEMO (the science centre we were visiting next). As soon as we noticed, we called the House of Bols where the woman we had spoken to before answered the phone. Not only did she have the camera and had contacted NEMO as she knew we were going there next, but she insisted she personally drop it off at our hotel after work. When we returned, she had bubble wrapped and packaged the camera and handed it directly to us. It's rare to find the kind of customer service these days! Would definitely recommend the House of Bols for experience as well as great staff.

Visited April 2013

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Had a blast”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We got a Holland Pass and this was one of the suggestions. It sounded like fun, so we gave it a try. It didn't disappoint. You don't even have to be a fan of hard liquor to enjoy. There are various tests of your senses and, if you choose to have fun with it, are fun to go through. My wife and I had a competition to see who could get the most correct. At the end it was fun to hang out with the bar tenders and talk about the drinks and liqour. Trips to Amsterdam ARE complete without going here, but this is a great stop for a good time.

Visited March 2013
Moscow, Russia
960 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 772 helpful votes
“Compared to other similar experiences I a bit disappointed”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was really looking forward to doing the House of Bols eperience, I was the one to drag my husband to do it. I have to say however, it left me a bit disappointed. Even though we did the "special edition" Haunted House of Bols for Helloween and got an extra drink, it still did not live to our expectations. The price is quite steep and the experience, even though well designed, is rather short and with emphasis only to taste and smell not on the actual preparation of proper genever. Everything is over within a minute, even though the drinks at the end are good. However after doing the Heineken experience and various cognac houses, single malt distilleries and Edinborough whiskey experience there was quite a lot left to be desired. If you're wondering which one to do in Amsterdam, I am telling you and I'm really not a beer fan, go to the other one.

Visited August 2012
Ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Enjoyed !”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

OK...it's more of a advertisement for Bols, but the tasting and scenting parts open your eyes / nose to what constitutes taste and smell. Cocktails afterwards (and shots) first-rate ! Good value (beware, no under 18s admitted)

Visited March 2013
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my daughter and we both really enjoyed ourselves. The smelling room is good fun and makes you realise that many fruits smell quite similar. The cocktail at the end was excellent as well as the 2 tasting shots. The bar staff were polite and very helpful even though it was really busy when we visited. I had been previously a couple of years ago and some of the rooms have changed. Also there are more cocktails to choose from but I would have liked a chocolate based one.

Visited April 2013