“Good position but bad hostel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aivengo Youth Hostel

Aivengo Youth Hostel
Ranked #152 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Good position but bad hostel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The position of this hostel was really good, especially if you come in amsterdam by train.
But this is an hostel only for leave the bag, because if you want to sleep there, forget it. I think that a prison is more comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank josefmujo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is quite simply the least inviting place I have ever stayed in, including three of Amsterdam's other budget hostels. That is to say I had low expectations but was still let down.

Why? There is literally nowhere to relax (the "reception" has two 2-seat couches and 2 stools by PCs for the 40 guests) and the rooms are freezing, and lit up like The Place Where There Is No Darkness in 1984.

Everything is clean, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't really cut it - no matter how clean a toilet is, I still want it to have a seat...

To top it all, the staff - while friendly and accommodating - have precisely no local knowledge at all. Ask about a cheap take-away, get directed to an Argentinian steak-house - ask about a good inexpensive coffee nearby, informed "it doesn't really matter, they're all the same".

This hostel was a big factor in me having a bad experience of Amsterdam for the only time out of four visits. Take my advice, stay in the campsite in Amsterdamse Bos. In fact, if it's summer time, spend the night under a bridge, it'll be a step up.

Room Tip: There are only 2 20-bed dorms in this place, no matter how cheap it looks, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank QuantumZiggy

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Had a brilliant stay at Hostel Aivengo, the location is superb, literally round the corner from Centraal Station and a few minutes walk from Dam Square. The guy that checked us in was very nice and provided us with a city map and highlighted numerous Amsterdam attractions. Due to it being low season we were upgraded free of charge to a nicer room. We stayed in the attic, everything was nice and clean and very modern and spacious, we even had a balcony/terrace. I would definitely visit the hostel again and would recommend for any traveller visiting the city!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank oliver12-01
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've stayed in several hostels all over Europe and this was by far the worst. The rooms were oversubscribed- there were people sleeping on the floor, the beds were make shift, uncomfortable and not nearly warm enough. It was loud and unpleasant and worst of all I GOT RINGWORM FROM STAYING HERE. I even contacted the hostel to let them know and they didn't bother getting back to me. I would recommend staying here if you're a fan of nasty fungal infections, dirty sheets and rude staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank freya m
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

pros: really nice/helpful staff (the man with the long hair is great), awesome location, let us check in early
cons: smells kinda funky, really thin mattresses, didn't give you enough blankets (amsterdam is cold this time of year!) which made sleeping hard, shower/bathrooms are more or less public

you're definitely not going to get a 5 star stay, but given the price i say it is extremely mediocre

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank reviewreviewreview
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed many times in Amsterdam, since 2010 and this is so far the best place I stayed in, we chosed this hostel, because of the price and location, I cannot stand to sleep with so many people because I am quite fussy, and I need silence to fell asleep, so no way to stay in a overcrowded room, therefore we decide to book a double, we did not have great expectation, as we were going to Amsterdam to have fun, not to stay in the "royal room", we just needed a clean bed to sleep on, and a comfy and private place to get ready. Well, at our arrival the girl at the reception told us the the room was in another building in Sint Jacob Straat, me and my friend both knows the Dam quite well, and when we heard the name of the street we looked each other and said wow this is really what we needed. In fact they gave us a key for the room called Amsterdam, we made our way to the room, when we got there, after opening the door, we noticed that the room seemed to be occupied, the bed were not done and there was some cans of beer and stuff, we thought we have been given the wrong room, so we were a bit sad...lol...I went back to the Hotel and I have told them the situation, and they told me that they have forgotten to clean it in the morning, they did apologise so many times, and they sent straight away someone to clean it up for us, we were not bothered at all, we were happy for the location, and the room was nice, very simple on the top floor of a proper house, we were sharing the flat with another room on the first floor, we had the toilet and the kitchen with a proper oven, and big fridge...it was just great absolutely great...a big plus was the washing machine...right outside our door. I will definitely come back to this hostel, as I said I visit the Dam quite often and I have always experienced problems in the previous hotels I have stayed in, specially because in Amsterdam there is a lack of professionalism and no Customer Service at all, even in 5 stars properties, but this time we got it right, a big thanks to the staff, and the only thing I really hated was on the check out day, I needed to use the toilet, and they let me use those one in the reception, which are tragic, there is a huge gap and no privacy at all....you should do something about this, it is really not nice to hear other people doing their business....but for the rest absolutely great stay. thanks a lot to the aivengo staff we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Book a double room, it want disappoint you :-)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank volacolomba
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed in the 10 girl dorm and it was good. Lots of space, good bathroom and kitchen area. Only thing was people are inconsiderate of others. Coming home at 4am and being noisy is not cool but not the hostels fault. Clean and very centrally located. Really good! Friendly staff and happy to keep my luggage after I had checked out for a few hours. Will return next time I'm in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo