“Very nice, unless you value your ankles”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #198 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 11, 2011

As I needed to visit US Consulate at Museumplein, husband chose this hotel for its location. Hooftstraat is an upscale shopping street that you can find in any small city, with nice Kiehl's around the corner from the hotel. Unlike other reviewers, I found this hotel clean, quiet and newly renovated. Have certainly stayed in smaller rooms in France and UK so size was not an issue (although we did NOT have a queensize bed, just a ''cozy'' double). Had to request a coffeemaker, but staff, in particular bartender Helen, were all lovely and helpful. Biggest complaint -- no desk lamp on either side of bed, inexcusable in single or double room, had to turn ceiling lights off from wall switch, and height of tub way too high to safely exit --- took a few moments of maneuvering as I treasure my ankles and a sprain would take months to heal. If you are young and agile, you may not mind. Also, the website says parking -- what parking? One must use the paid lot at Museumplein. Many good restaurants around of all sorts, we did not indulge in the E12.50 breakfast. All in all, not bad for E60. And don't accept a basement room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed December 11, 2010

We stayed at the Apollo Museum Hotel for 2 nights 3 days. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to two trams around the corner (the 2 and the 5 which both come and go to Centraal Station). Surprisingly there is no ramp to go into the hotel. Rather you have to climb about 10 steps with your luggage into the hotel. We were immediately able to check in. They asked for a credit card to keep on file (which I thought was weird because the room was paid for). Nevertheless they made a "copy" of it (more about this later - it's not bad I promise). We were on the 4th floor and the elevator is big enough to fit two people with two 25" inch suitcases and a few stragglers. To comment about the smell that the reviewer below mentioned - I think it was from the carpet. There was a mildew-y musk in the hallways that is certainly not refreshing but I think it stemmed from all the wet shoes coming in and out of the hotel (It had unseasonably been snowing for the past few days). That said our room did not smell at all. If anything they sprayed something to make the room smell fresh upon entering. The room is small! A lot of reviewers have mentioned that and it's very small! We kept our suitcases by the door and we had to squeeze to get in. I can't imagine two large size people comfortably staying in this room. However, if you plan on just using the room to sleep at night then you should be just fine.

The bathroom - while it looks pretty it's not exactly functional. The sink is pretty, but ours didn't drain very fast because the water would stay around for a while. Not a big deal - we stuck the end of our toothpaste tube under the drain (if that's what you call it) and the water went down a lot faster. We left it like that for housekeeping to see and they fixed it. They include large size Dove shampoo/conditioner and body wash in the shower and by the sink. The shower isn't very functional as well. If you take a long shower - good luck. The way the shower is installed it's on the same level as the sink and toilet. There's no step into the shower. So if the water doesn't drain right away it leaks out into the bathroom. After each shower we would use over towels to mop up the floor. It wasn't that big of a deal when given we had hot water and good water (not hard, not soft).

It was kind of cold in the room and we couldn't figure out if the heating was on. But from reading the previous review it seemed there was a hotel wide issue. We put on the highest temperature we could but it was still cold. Not a big deal when we went under the covers - which honestly was weird that there was only a comforter and not a blanket. Usually in hotels there's a decorative blanket/quilt, a textured blanket and another linen. Here there was only the comforter, but I have to say was cozy and warm. The bed has a foam bed then the mattress so you kind of sink into it. But it was comfortable. I must say I did fall asleep fast. Our room was in the back so no issues with noise. I did notice there's a fifth floor and it's stairs only access - so good luck if you have heavy luggage.

Breakfast was included in our package. And it was good - there were croissants, rolls, toast, apples, and oranges, cold meats ham, turkey, salami), cheeses, cereals, yogurts, coffee, hot chocolate, juices, etc. After you sit down you get asked to fill out a form with your name and room info - I guess for either stats or to see if breakfast is included in your package.

Onto the credit card - there's free wifi in the hotel which is a plus. I saw two computers hooked up to a printer for guest use which is always nice. Since it was the end of the trip I wanted to make catch up on bills and banking. I noticed there was a charge for the hotel (about 130USD). I wondered for what since the room was paid for and it couldn't have been a deposit. "Oh no it was that stupid sink!" I thought. When we checked out I asked about it and they said it's just security measure/deposit, but that it would be credited back to my account. It wasn't a big deal as I had enough in my checking and several days later the charge disappeared and all was well in my checking account. I would recommend if you're checking into the hotel to make sure you have enough money in your account for their "charge". Because it would be terrible if you were "charged" and you didn't have enough money and you were given an over charge penalty.

All in all, yes it was small, but the room was clean and tidy and in a great location. You're about a 10-15 minute walk to Leidesplein and about a 40-60 minute walk to the Anne Frank House. Given the location (you're around the corner from the Rijksmuseum, and nearby the Van Gogh Museum, and the Stedelijk museum). I would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Stayed there 5 days on the recommendation of a travel agent. The staff were nice, breakfast was good. We didnt reserve the full 5 days in the beginning and almost moved, but it was so much easier to stay. (My friend is handicapped) The place has a smell about it and yes is small. Make sure you book ahead of time on a (UK or mainland websites) as the rates can vary alot and go WAY up on the weekends. It is right next to the museums and across from an canal cruises(do first). All in all I would recommend you look elsewhere. Amsterdam is soo easy to get around in-trams, bus, canalbus, etc! The Jordan area is full of local flavor and very central also- I will look there next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed at the Apollo Museum (Best Western) Hotel for two nights. What was supposed to be an exciting kick-off to a wonderful trip in Amsterdam unfortunately culminated into a very frustrating experience.

PROS
1. Superb location. If you dare stay here, you will be walking distance from Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum -- two "must sees" while in Amsterdam. The hotel is also walking distance from several public transportation stops.

2. The hotel was clean.

CONS
1. My room (for two) was so small it was ridiculous! When I walked approximately two feet from the door, I ran into the bed. Please note I am not exaggerating. Further, to get a medium sized piece of luggage to the twin bed near the window, you need to lift the luggage over the bed. The floor space is inefficient to pull your luggage around the bed.

2. The designer of the hotel's bathroom clearly never used it! While granite floors are aesthetically pleasing, they are also incredibly slippery. Additionally, the shower floors did not slope toward they drain nor did they have a barrier so that water would stay in the shower. Therefore, after a 5-10 minute shower, water was all over the (slippery granite) floor.

3. The hotel does not have a full restaurant. It does offer a buffet restaurant with a mediocre selection.

4. During our last night, we did not have heat! Mind you, during our stay, Western Europe experienced record low temperatures for November; so indoor heat was crucial. When we reported there was a heating problem, the front desk's response was, "There is nothing I can do. This is a management problem." The lack of heating was a problem throughout the hotel and the front desk did not even bother to call the hotel's technician.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Stayed at the Apollo Museum Hotel for four nights. I traveled alone so i ordered the single room with breakfast via my traveling agent. Hotel was very nice. I read few horrible reviews here before i got there, but i found a nice, quite and comfortable hotel. Yes, room was a little bit small but but hardly as described. I saw in my life smaller rooms for higher prices in places like London or New-York. Location was just perfect, very close to the museums area and few minutes walk from main shopping and nightlife streets. there was also a bus stop in a minute walk to Dam square and central station. Staff was very nice and helpful too. Breakfast was no more than nice but pretty fine by me. If my package would not included it, don't know if i had payed on it. There are better offers in the cafe's near by. I had a fine time in Apollo Museum Hotel, and will consider staying there again on my next trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2010

OK for a couple of nights; convenient location; room service was a guy with a bucket that showed up after 5 PM (told him to skip it.) Shower was oddly designed: unless your shower was quick, water would go from the bathroom floor onto the carpet. Some couples
in my group got such tiny rooms, they couldn't fit all their bags into the room; mine was fine, however, tho there was no lift to the room and had to go up 2 steep flights of stairs to get to it. Worth the climb.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights, found the hotel to be in an excellent location. Within walking distance to the major sights, restaurants, shops, pubs. Hotel itself was very clean, requested and were given a room on the 4th floor, nice view. Room was perfectly adequate for a city break, no not the biggest room in the world but absolutely fine for two adults. Breakfast not included in the room rate and we found it to be quite expensive for continental breakfast - 76 euros for two people for four mornings, including discount! Hotel staff pleasant and helpful when required.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple