Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #196 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dump”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice facade shame about the interior, this place needs renovations big-time, mouldy bathroom, grotty grout, a faint whiff of something unpleasant, not a good experience and not even a price that you'd expect to pay, actually they should have paid me to stay here

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tomren73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Noida, India
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel during a business visit to Amsterdam. USP is the location next which is next all of the possible attractions and to the must see Rijks museum, the staff was friendly, dependable and sufficient. In all a value for money and location ideal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much leaving a review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and our hotel. Hopefully we can meet you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

As I was about to write my review for this hotel, I began reading some reviews about this place and how some people had bad experiences here. What I am about to say can be used as a general rule for those thinking of staying at this hotel and any other hotel when traveling abroad. I have to say that many times those people who are having issues, they are the ones creating the issues. If you’re travelling to Europe, do your research. Research local transportation (i.e. what time buses pass, holiday hours), restaurants, change houses, etc. near the hotel. We have this idea that a hotel is to accommodate your every need at the snap of the finger. In theory, yes. In Europe, not so much. Granted, if you want to pay $300- $400 a night, then yes, you will probably get every need taken care of. If you’re like me and want to spend as little money as possible on hotel (mainly because I will be spending very little time in my room), then not so much. The first time I went to Amsterdam, I stayed here. After doing my research, I knew my room was going to be small, I expected some noise from elevators, room chatter, traffic noise, etc.; this is all part of traveling. I’m paying roughly $100 a night, no offense to this hotel, but I wasn't expecting the amenities of the Ritz. I will say that for the price and the location, this is a very good deal. And on top of this, to me, the staff was friendly, dependable and sufficient.

Rule of thumb: if there is an issue that you would like to address to the staff at any hotel, don’t yell them your problem and then expect them to fix it because they won’t.

This is my second time staying at this hotel and just like the last time, I had no problems. The service was good; I remember asking for help on occasion and the staff accommodated me without a problem. My party arrived early in the morning and we were still allowed to check in way before normal “check-in” hours and without a fee. This time around, however, I did pay extra for larger room. The “standard” room where I come from is not the same size “standard” in Europe. The extra room price is worth it if you plan on bringing a few pieces of luggage and/or if you are claustrophobic. This place is located in a good spot between several main attractions (10 minute walk to Van Gogh museum, Riks, shopping stores, plazas, restaurant, canal tour is right in front of hotel, the “IAMsterdam”sign). If you want to get closer into the central part of Amsterdam (Ann Frank House, Rembrandt House), the bus stop is one block away. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and it was dependable.

When I come to Amsterdam again, I definitely see myself staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jerry R
Dear Jerry,

Many thanks for placing your review on tripadvisor. As you understand reviews are very important to us and your`s is very valuable to us. I am pleased to read that we have met your expectations and that you have enjoyed Amsterdam once again. I have shared your feedback with the entire team, thanks a lot and I am looking forward to meet you again in our hotel.

Kind Regards,
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Right by the Vondelpark, the Rijksmuseum, nice cafes in nearby Albert Cuyp, Leidsplein, the tram to Centraal Station etc.. fantastic for that. It was clean. BUT... a miniature room.. VERY cold (heard lots of other guests complaining about this too), no kettle in room, very expensive drinks (bottled water four times the normal price). However, the worst thing by far was the smell from the tiny bathroom. A bad drain smell emulated from the pipes, which were also noisy. I'm sure this isn't healthy. It really was evident, and pretty foul. Personally, I wouldn't revisit this hotel, until I was confident they'd resolved this. Yuk.

Room Tip: Most of the beds are twins pushed together with a big gap in between.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RamblingGirl01

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 3, 2014

First time ever I ended up in a place where the night staff couldn't care less about their customer. First of all, nobody told us that there were no cabs during the night of the 1st of january. Then after walking for an hour in the east of Amsterdam, we called the hotel to ask for some help. At first they started lecturing us about the fact that they were an hotel and not a cab or a guided tour company, to finish with hanging up on us. Following that, we tried to call several times but they always hanged up on us. Charming. Luckily for us it was NYE and some people let us crash on their couch in order to not get soaked and more lst in Amsterdam East.

Anyway, the review is very simple: rooms were ok, location ideal, service worst ever.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Even though the prices are reasonable, my experience at this hotel was not as Ok as the prices. I booked one single room for one night in October, 2013. The room I got was right next to the reception, so one could hear the phone ringing very often, people talking and slamming doors. When I talked to the personnel, they refused to change my room because they were 'fully booked'. I could barely sleep that night.
Be aware of the check out time; even though they wrote on my card that the check out was at 14:00, they charged me extra for late check out since the real check out time is at 11:00!

Breakfast was OK, but if you are not in a hurry, I'd recommend you to find a cheaper and better place for breakfast (for example: on Van Baerlestraat street)

Pos: Great central location. The hotel is located just a couple of minutes away from Vondelpark and my favorite therapeutic massage practice.

• Stayed October 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed in the hotel in early December during an impromptu trip to Amsterdam. I was just looking for somewhere that was cheap, clean and close to Leidseplein. This hotel did not disappoint! It was located only a short walk from the Rijksmuseum with trams and other attractions (Heineken Experience, Paradiso) only a short distance away. Despite not booking well in advance I got a great value room for half the price of other hotels in the area. Upon my arrival I was warmly greeted by the reception staff who couldn't have been more helpful and was checked in quickly. My room was on the second floor and despite it being a little on the small side, it was adequate to my needs. Even though the bathroom was compact, it was spotless, modern and had a lovely shower. The wardrobe was at the foot of the bed so was a tad awkward to open and close the door without having to get on the bed but it was fine in the end. The bed was really comfortable and I got a great sleep too. Didn't sample breakfast due to an early departure time. All in all I'd definitely stay in this hotel again and look forward to going back to Amsterdam again soon!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Claire W
Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for leaving us your comments regarding your trip. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, although the room was a little small. Unfortunately most of the rooms in Amsterdam city centre are compact but the location makes up for it. I have shared your feedback with the team, this was much appreciated.

Hopefully we can meet you again in the future.

Kind regards,