“Book only for the location - don't expect anything else!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre

BEST WESTERN Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #208 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Book only for the location - don't expect anything else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We arrived with a small child in a pram and we were given a room on the 5th floor, inaccessible by elevator and with a very dangerous, steep staircase. There is no porter so we had to climb the stairs with the pram, child and 4 suitcases by ourselves. We came down for something to eat late at night but were told there is no kitchen in the hotel. Drinks not served past 1am, and even by 10pm it was hard to find someone to serve you drinks, you had to request a bartender at the reception (!?), the bathroom basin made it impossible to wash your face, the room was tiny, no electrical outlets, our room did not have a single bedside table or lamp (it was either 6 bright spotlights directly on the bed or lights out) and there is a slant to the floor at the top of the steep staircase to the 5th floor. It caused my daughter to fall, thankfully she stopped rolling down the stairs at the 4th step, it could have been much, much worse. We informed reception about how incredibly dangerous the stairs are and they did not even pretend to care.

Pros:Good location, clean and OK price
Cons: Rude reception staff, poor design, poor amenities

Gets marked down for a very near miss at badly injuring, possibly killing my daughter!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank steewynan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed two nights as part of a 9 day tour with Gate 1 Travel. Located in a great, safe neighborhood, right next door to the Rijksmuseum. Easy walk to other popular parts of Amsterdam such as the Anne Frank museum etc. Very nice and helpful staff, we arrived at 6:30 am lol so our room, or course, was not ready (plus the Europe MTV video awards were taking place so there were no empty rooms anywhere in the city) but they happily stored our luggage and invited us to stay in the breakfast room and have coffee, etc. Our breakfast was included and it was very good, coffee was excellent. Breakfast room turns into a bar in the afternoon/evening. Room was very clean but very, very small. It's an older building so you have to expect it but just a forewarning if you are expecting a huge Best Western US-style hotel room. But it was fine for us, who spends anytime in your room when you have all of Amsterdam to explore? All in all a lovely, well located hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Finnatic1223
sjoerdverkooijen, Front office manager at BEST WESTERN Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving your comment here.It is nice to hear you enjoyed our hotel and city and I hope you enjoyed your entire trip.

With kind regards,

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel
Wroclaw, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were excited about this hotel because Best Westerns usually are okay hotels and this location is where we wanted to be but this one - was below average for sure.

We checked in and were given a room in the basement - Room 7. There were two of us, my husband and I and are fairly small people - and we only travel with small bookbags (think school bookbags). We entered the room and between our super small bags and two people - there was not even close to enough to room. We sat down and were like this isn't going to work for 3 nights. Also, the desk area was fairly dusty (the alarm clock) and not to be nasty but the bathroom smelled as if it had recently been used. So I went upstairs and requested a new room. They told me we could move to a room with twin beds or wait till the morning and then see about a new room. I made the mistake of saying we will wait for tomorrow and see what's available. So I went back down, my husband and I decided 1 night wouldn't be horrible so we were locking our things up so we could go out for the night - and put our passports in the safe. There were DIRTY SOCKS in the safe!!! Seriously probably one of the grossest things we've come across in a hotel room. It kind of explains the why the bathroom smelled so bad - my guess is the previous guest was a single male.

So we marched upstairs and took them up on the offer for the twin beds - no way were we staying in that room for one night. I will say the lady helping us behind the counter was professional and nice and accommodating. It's not her fault the room was less than par. Still the second room was in the basement. The basement kind of makes you feel like a second class citizen which probably rubbed me wrong way. I am not a fan of being in the basement at all but anything was better than the first room. The second room was much larger and cleaner. The room still had faults though, sunken floors, odd arrangement of furniture (they crammed all the furniture into one section and left a wide open area). The dangerous part of the room was the standing closet isn't bolted to the wall so if you have the bottom drawer open the and closet door open, the entire closet begins to lean forward and if I hadn't noticed it could easily fall forward. Not good if you have little kids in the room. And the shower made no sense. The drain was clogged so when you showered, water went everywhere in the bathroom, not a little, a lot of water.

The other entertaining moment was at the front desk, there was an angry guest speaking with one of the front desk girls, the front desk girl lost her cool and started yelling at the customer. I come a country where the customer is always right - so we had to laugh. Don't get me wrong - neither had a right to yell at the other but the front desk girl - should have kept her calm or gotten her manager. Note, the Best Western associate was not the same girl who worked with us and was kind.

But to speak to the positives of the hotel, the location is great. It was exactly where we wanted to be. The staff that we engaged with were super nice and answered every question we had. We did rent bikes right from the hotel which was perfect as well. Bike rentals are 16 euro a day. I wish they were for 24 hours - rather than 1 day but hey, we kept them out all day so that worked.

To recap, the staff was nice, the hotel was one of the least favorites we've stayed in and likely would do anything we could not to stay here again. My husband stayed at the Best Western around the corner 2 weeks prior and had a much better experience.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in the basement - ESPECIALLY rooms: 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 - these rooms are beyond sma...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Only by receving these comments we will be able to improve our product and services.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay with us. Wheater it are the socks or the receptionist which lost her temper it may be needless to say this is not the service you may expect from us and I truly feel bad abouth this situation happened in our hotel.

Nevertheless I sincerely hope you enjoyed your overall visit to Amsterdam. I hope to welcome you again so we can make it up to you and show you this is very unusual for us. Please do not hestiate to contact me next time you are visiting Amsterdam.

With kind regards,

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel, as I usually do, based in guest reviews rather than stars.... Again I wasn't disappointed! Simply the best location, right next to the museums (Van Gogh is a must) , the canal boat ride, and restaurants. Pleasant and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and the rate is a deal! In addition, the only means of transportation that you would need if you book here is to rent a bike (a must) .... On top of being cheap, your daily transportation costs will be only 16 euros/day, and the best way for you to explore Amsterdam day/night is with a bike :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Carolina A
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Carolina,

Thank you very much for leaving us a review on tripadvisor. More and more people are leaving reviews on tripadvisor and your support is very much appreciated. I have to agree with you that the best way to explore Amsterdam is by bike and I am pleased that you have made the most of it. Thanks again for your stay in our hotel and hopefully we can meet you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel was very clean, great neighborhood, close to a lot of museums within a 3-10 minute walk. Walkable to many restaurants and sites. Very friendly staff, nice buffet breakfast. modern, clean rooms. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my clients and family and friends.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor facing the side street, nice quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dawnies27
Dear Mr/ Mrs Dawnies,

Thank you for leaving your comment on Tripadvisor and thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed our location, staff and hotel.

Kind regards,

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very comfortable hotel - located a little outside the main city centre but only a 20 min walk to Dam Square. Opposite the canal, a 5 min walk to the park, right beside museums and plenty of designer window shopping. Great situation to feel a bit of space but still near enough to access bars, cafes etc. Twin room was rather bijou but clean and comfortable - what you would expect from a hotel chain in a city center.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank beverley w
Dear Mrs. Beverly,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to see you enjoyed our great location and that you had a good stay.

Looking forward to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam
Viking, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Over all it was pretty good place to stay. The people at the front desk were EXCELLANT, they were very accommodating, they helped us get a taxi for the day. The price was pretty good, compared to a lot of the places. Very close to the park, across the street from a restaurant. We got a handi cap room for 2 ladies travelling with us, which was down stairs, but they did have a lift. The room was HUGE which was good, but the Bathrrom was small and noway could a handi cap person get in and out of the tub! Our room the bathroom was alittle bigger, but once we got our 2 suit cases in the room, we had no where to walk! The other room another couple had, the room was larger and they were quite satisfied. The breakfast we prebought the day before, wasn't worth it, as far as we were concerned, mostly cold food and buffet style. the lady that took care of the food was VERY RUDE, I wish I would have got her name. The hotel also had happy hour in the evening, 2 for 1 drinks. All in all I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends