“Ideal for Rijksmuseum”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #199 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at a pretty reasonable rate found on the net at the last minute. Room was on the small side but fine for me and my wife and our one suitcase. Air-con was handy and helped us sleep. Free WiFi was available and useful. Bathroom a little odd with a frosted glass door to the bedroom but it was kept spotless as was the room itself every day. There were no tea making facilities at first but a tray was supplied when we asked. Breakfast was the usual continental buffet and was quite reasonably priced when we pre-booked it. Staff were very helpful and had excellent English. Hotel just 5 mins walk from Rijksmuseum and within an easy walk of Van Gogh Museum etc and of Leidseplein where there were many small restaurants. We were about 2 mins from the Hobbemastraat stop on lines 2/5 so it was easy to get about. Excellent experience.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the side street so was relatively quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Mr Jim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I will pass on your comments to the housekeeping team and the Front Office team. Thanks again for your time and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a room booked for seven days. The first room was the smallest room I've ever seen. Ultimately I was moved twice to a bigger room but it was in the basement. It's sort of half underground. The housekeeping was deplorable. I brought a cup of tea to my room and the empty cup sat there for three days. When I came back to my room on the third day there was also a bag of garbage sitting on the ironing board so I took both the garbage and the cup to reception. The beds in this room were old box springs that were the worst I've ever slept on. The glass bathroom doors leave absolutely no privacy. There is a public washroom down the hall but those glass doors are not clear so you can't see in or out. I can't imagine why the bathroom doors in the rooms are not also the same. The pictures that I saw on line are nothing like what I saw. There are a number of steep steps going up to reception so hauling suitcases up is challenging as there is no one there to help you. The location is perfect but that's the only good thing about this hotel. Lots of better choices available.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights last week, wish it had been longer. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, had the best 2 nights sleep i've had in years!! Room was very clean and spacious. I had a view of the courtyard at the back, was only in room to sleep though so view didn't bother me!!

Breakfast was included, was continental.. breads, meats, cheeses etc etc, was all very fresh and tasty and there was loads of it!

Hotel location was brilliant, street round corner was all designer shops (we went when it was closed to save a fortune) tram stop is right round corner, Boat tours on canal across the street, hop on hop off bus just 2 min walk away. Hard Rock hotel and big busy square within 5 mins walk too.

Would definatley stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone staying in Amsterdam

2  Thank Claire D

Dear Mrs Claire,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review of your stay on Trip advisor. I am delighted to read what a fantastic experience you have had in our hotel. The hotel is very central located as you mentioned above and I am glad you have been able to experience the best of Amsterdam so far. Thanks again for your feedback and I will share the feedback with the entire team.

I am looking forward to meet you again in the future.

Kinds Regards,

Reviewed September 13, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Alexandra V
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel was cheap, and there are many reasons why. The first room we got was absolutely tiny. Not big enough for a couple and there was no floor space to put 2 suitcases. The bathroom had a glass door, which is a ridiculous idea, and that meant that there was no privacy and the light would illuminate the whole room at night. Also it was on the ground floor so it was noisy. We asked for an upgrade, and thankfully the staff were nice and gave us the best room in the hotel (apparently). It was better in that there was a lot more space. But it had the same stupid bathroom door and the furniture was old and dated. Furthermore the lift didn't go up to that floor and the bed was right below a window, so we would be woken up as soon as the sun came up.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are always trying to improve our products.

Altough I realize rooms in Amsterdam can be a bit small I sincerely hope you enjoyed your overal stay with us and in Amterdam. My apologies that you did not liked the ‘’glass’’ door. Fortunately it is not possible to see though it.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager
Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Reviewed September 11, 2013

this hotel is not fancy but for what we needed it was perfect!!! LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION!!! Close to the museums, close to tram stops. The staff was helpful, friendly and wonderful. The breakfast buffet was fresh and had a wonderful variety of foods. The rooms are small but we weren't there to stay in our rooms...and they were very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Susan,

Thank you vey much for taking the time to share your review.

I am happy to read you enjoyed Amsterdam and that we could be a part of it.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager
Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a great choice if you are looking for a hotel in a good location and want a solid value. The hotel and room are fairly basic, but good enough if you are going to be spending most of your time sightseeing or in business meetings. Please keep in mind there is no fitness center, but Vondelpark is very close if you would like to get in a run.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business