“Not the best”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #195 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel was cheap, and there are many reasons why. The first room we got was absolutely tiny. Not big enough for a couple and there was no floor space to put 2 suitcases. The bathroom had a glass door, which is a ridiculous idea, and that meant that there was no privacy and the light would illuminate the whole room at night. Also it was on the ground floor so it was noisy. We asked for an upgrade, and thankfully the staff were nice and gave us the best room in the hotel (apparently). It was better in that there was a lot more space. But it had the same stupid bathroom door and the furniture was old and dated. Furthermore the lift didn't go up to that floor and the bed was right below a window, so we would be woken up as soon as the sun came up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are always trying to improve our products.

Altough I realize rooms in Amsterdam can be a bit small I sincerely hope you enjoyed your overal stay with us and in Amterdam. My apologies that you did not liked the ‘’glass’’ door. Fortunately it is not possible to see though it.

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

this hotel is not fancy but for what we needed it was perfect!!! LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION!!! Close to the museums, close to tram stops. The staff was helpful, friendly and wonderful. The breakfast buffet was fresh and had a wonderful variety of foods. The rooms are small but we weren't there to stay in our rooms...and they were very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear Susan,

Thank you vey much for taking the time to share your review.

I am happy to read you enjoyed Amsterdam and that we could be a part of it.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a great choice if you are looking for a hotel in a good location and want a solid value. The hotel and room are fairly basic, but good enough if you are going to be spending most of your time sightseeing or in business meetings. Please keep in mind there is no fitness center, but Vondelpark is very close if you would like to get in a run.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my sisters and we were looking forward to a fun trip in Amsterdam. Although the hotel was in an ideal location, that turned out to be the ONLY thing good about our stay at the Best Western Apollo.

For the most part, the staff and service was okay BUT we received horrible customer service and treatment by a gentleman (I use that term loosely), Gerco who was the front desk person who worked at night.

We were given a room at the basement level where it was dark, cold and extremely loud. On our first night, we requested additional blankets which Gerco delivered. However, he became terribly rude to us because our room was only double occupancy but there were three of us in the room. We explained to him that upon us booking the hotel room, we told them that we would have three guests in our room but he continued to insist that my little sister LEAVE the room-- at 1 am in the morning, mind you.

We offered to pay extra to have the three of us stay in the room but Gerco became increasingly rude and persistent. He wanted my sister out of the room. We refused and told him she was not leaving.

We complained to the manager the next day and eventually moved to another room after another night in the basement room. We were told that Gerco's behavior and treatment of guests is normal for him. Its our opinion he should not be in the hospitality industry if he treats hotel guests in this fashion.

Although the rest of the staff was very friendly and accommodating, sadly, I cannot give the hotel a good rating based PURELY on Mr. Gerco's service and attitude.

The first night it was cold in the basement

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

My sincere apologies if the nighstaff did not give you the service you may expect from us. Unfortunately it is not allowed to stay with 3 persons in a double room for safety reasons. Nevertheless I regret the situation but I am happy to see you informed us and we found a proper solution.

Gerco is wellknown for his outstanding service and once again I am sorry if you felt this was different that night.

Hope to welcome you again next time and show you this was an unfortunate incident.

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Nice, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

A nice hotel with very clean and quiet rooms at an excellent location next to the Rijksmuseum. You can upgrade rooms for a relatively small fee.
Be sure you have a backup if you order the wake up call: they forgot to call me!
The free wifi is very bad.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Bob,

Thank yo uso much for leaving a review, w e are always learning from our guests comments.

I am just happty to see you enjoyed your overall stay altough I am dissapointed to hear somethjing went wrong with your wakeup call. My sincere apologies fort his I hope it did not causes too many problems.

If there is anything at all please let us know.

Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel is close to museums, shopping, canal boats and nice restaurants. Service minded staff that was very helpful. One of the guest I traveled with got a noisy room close to the street, but the staff fixed her a new room when she complained. The rooms were quite small but nice, with comfortable beds. I can highly recommend this hotel. Breakfast was not included

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate that you took the time to leave your comments about us.

Thank you for your kind words and I am happy to see the staff could fin dan easy solution for the noise in the first room.

Hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Room 005 is next to the stock room/staff room downstairs. In the mornings at approximately 6-7am, you can hear staff arriving to work, having their conversations and getting ready for the day. In addition, it was also where they would place fresh towels/bed sheets etc. on trolleys to be pushed along the corridors and into elevators, which added to the noise level. It was extremely noisy and we couldn't get back to sleep.

When complaining about this, we had apparently complained too late and there were no available rooms to place us in. However, the gentleman that we spoke to was very friendly and tried to compensate this with goods e.g. free drinks at the bar, free breakfast the next morning and a late check-in. I guess the late check-in helps after a big night out and noise levels in the mornings.

The room was rather small and quite basic. It had a television, double bed, small wardrobe space, safety deposit box etc. Pillows were extremely uncomfortable, which didn't help with sleeping.

What I wasn't keen on was that the shower shared the same flooring as the bathroom, which meant that when you showered, the water would go under the glass door and would soak the whole marble flooring. Additionally, the cleaners had forgotten to empty the bin and there were still rubbish from the guest(s) who were staying in that room prior to us.

Overall, I think I would have been happier if I got some sleep. It was only a satisfactory stay. If you decide to stay here, avoid room 005 (or maybe even avoid the rooms downstairs).

Room Tip: Avoid room 005, which is downstairs and next to the workroom.
1 Thank kimmydotcom
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments, suggestions and advise. We have already take a few actions to avoid this situation for our future guests. I am sorry to see that at that time the staff could not offer a proper solution I hope we will get the chance to make it up to you some day.

Nevertheless I hope you can look back at a nice stay in Amsterdam. Please contact me next time you are visiting Amsterdam so I will make sure you have a great experience.

Kindest regards,