“Confortable rooms in a very nice location”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #198 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is located in a very nice place closed to the downtown. I was there for several weeks between January and March 2013.
I never tried the breakfast but the room are very nice and confortable. I would always suggest first floor rooms because they have minibar inside.
Rooms are clean and modern. The space is not so much but all furbishment are well disposed. Once I had the room on the corner. It is very very nice but during winter is really cold. Strongly suggested during spring and summer.
Free wi-fi and bike rental service are available.
There is no restaurant inside but it is possible to order pizza (from a closed pizzeria) or have sandwiches from the hall.
Discunts available for long periods.
The hotel is connected very well to public transportation and is 5 min walking by leidseplain and downtime.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Fabriziux83
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and that you enjoyed our serviced and facility’s for such a long period.
If there is anything at all I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me at all times.
With kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Came to Amsterdam for a friends 30th and everyone stayed here. In terms of location, the hotel is excellent - it's only a short walk to Leidseplein, plus there are numerous trams and buses available nearby, and it's not bad value(though maybe a touch on the high side of things)

However, the rooms are tiny - I'm used to staying in hotels that are just somewhere to get your head down, but this room was so small it was actually difficult for two people to get ready in it. And while the bathroom is nice, having a frosted glass door means that should you go in while it's dark. the moment you switch the light on you fill the rest of the room with light - not good when someone else is trying to sleep. But the worst thing is that the sound proofing is pretty non existent and you can here everything going on in the rooms around you. One morning I was woken up by the sounds of somebody in an adjacent room going to the toilet - not pleasant!

Overall, it was ok, but I would think twice before staying here again, and certainly not if on a couples break

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JoeChapman

Dear Mr Chapman,
Only by receiving these comments we will be able to improve our services. On behalf of the whole team our apologies for not meeting your expectations. I realise that some of our room are a bit small although these are quite standard in Amsterdam city centre locations. I do regret the situation that your heard the next room, that’s not the way it supposed to be. I will take this up with maintenance as this is the first time I hear this comment. Please do not hesitate to contact the reception a future time.
Nevertheless I sincerely hope you enjoyed your overall stay in Amsterdam. I hope to welcome you again myself so we can give you the superior experience you deserve.
With kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I came to Amsterdam to attend a funeral so booked this at the last minute on line. My friend and I had never been to the city before and arrived very late at night at the hotel feeling quite fraught. When we asked the receptionist for some advice on how to get to the funeral in the morning she was extremely helpful and spent time looking up and printing off tram times for us so that our journey could be as stress free as possible. We were really impressed and grateful for the assistance the staff showed us as it made our trip much more bearable. My single room was certainly snug but everything was clean and the ultra modern bathroom was a nice touch (watch out and don't leave things on the floor if you have a shower as the degree of slope is not quite enough to drain the wet room style shower properly).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank orangeblossom_8
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear guest,

First if all my condolences.

Through this respond I would like to thank you for staying with us and for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor.

Despite the circumstances I am glad you enjoyed the level of service from our staff.

I sincerely hope to welcome you again in the future so you can really enjoy Amsterdam.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend and found the hotel experience quite meh in general. Room was quite ok, but basic. Breakfast buffet terribly boring and service rude and unhelpful. The only upside was the location, close to a tram stop and to some of the museums. Will not return.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience.

My sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. We would love to hear your feedback so we can improve our services. My direct email is fom.museum@apolomuseumhotel.nl

I sincerely hope to elcome you myself in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Had a business trip to Amsterdam late of January. Had been given a very tiny room with a window which is about 1 sqft, so tiny, with that price, that really surprised me. The hotel's location is not bad which is close to attractions where you can walk to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr Yang,

I am sorry to read that we could not live up to your expectations. It may be needless to say that we do everything we can to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible. Because of the building all the rooms are a bit different with it's unique caracters. Please do not hesitate to ask us to show you an other room next time.

I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again and give us a second chance.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Denis B

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Last 2 weeks I spend in 2 Best Western hotels in Amsterdam: Blue Square and Apollo Museum.
I'm really astonished how come those 2 hotels which basically cost the same can be rated even close to each other on trip advisor.
I'll put here a short comparison of those 2 hotels.

Exterior:
- Blue Square - this is the biggest problem of this hotel. It looks from outside as a cheap hostel, definitely not as Best Western Plus
- Apollo - nice, old building enlighten in the evening as a tourist attraction

Interior:
- Blue Square - little better than outside but the image of hostel is still present, way too much plastic used
- Apollo - looks just good, not too fancy, not to ascetic.

Room:
- Blue Square - the room is bigger than in Apollo but it looks old (not in good way) and cheap, the bathroom wasn't exactly clean (it was not dirty but it needs some cleaning which you don't do every day - f.e. fugues). I don't know who designed the layout in bathroom but to take toilet paper when you seat on the toilet requires acrobatic skills.
- Apollo - the room is quite small (at least the one I got) but what you can expect from old building. The room design is really nice - you can feel Scandinavian touch in the design here. Bathroom also looks much better than the one at Blue Square. It's equipped with thermostatic shower mixer. The only pain point here is water leaking on the floor from the shower (it wasn't broken it's just made this way).

Entertainment:
- Blue Square - really good internet connection and not-bad TV
- Apollo - the internet was sometimes very slow (you need to pay 8EUR extra per day if you want faster internet), more TV channels than in Blue Square (f.e. Discover or ComedyCentral - both in Dutch version but 99% of the time it's still in English with just Dutch subtitles)

Location:
- Blue Square - you really need to use a public transport to get to the town, it's way too far to walk
- Apollo - basically at the start of old town, few meters from HardRock Caffee

Parking:
- Blue Square - own underground parking for 15 EUR a day
- Apollo - no own parking, you can on the street right outside of the hotel (no problems to find parking places) or in underground parking 300m away. Both will cost you more than 15 EUR for sure (4EUR/h 9-24 during week).

Price:
both hotels costs ~60EUR per night with breakfast paid separately (~10EUR).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business