- Free Wifi
Last 2 weeks I spend in 2 Best Western hotels in Amsterdam: Blue Square and Apollo Museum.
I'm really astonished how come those 2 hotels which basically cost the same can be rated even close to each other on trip advisor.
I'll put here a short comparison of those 2 hotels.
- Blue Square - this is the biggest problem of this hotel. It looks from outside as a cheap hostel, definitely not as Best Western Plus
- Apollo - nice, old building enlighten in the evening as a tourist attraction
- Blue Square - little better than outside but the image of hostel is still present, way too much plastic used
- Apollo - looks just good, not too fancy, not to ascetic.
- Blue Square - the room is bigger than in Apollo but it looks old (not in good way) and cheap, the bathroom wasn't exactly clean (it was not dirty but it needs some cleaning which you don't do every day - f.e. fugues). I don't know who designed the layout in bathroom but to take toilet paper when you seat on the toilet requires acrobatic skills.
- Apollo - the room is quite small (at least the one I got) but what you can expect from old building. The room design is really nice - you can feel Scandinavian touch in the design here. Bathroom also looks much better than the one at Blue Square. It's equipped with thermostatic shower mixer. The only pain point here is water leaking on the floor from the shower (it wasn't broken it's just made this way).
- Blue Square - really good internet connection and not-bad TV
- Apollo - the internet was sometimes very slow (you need to pay 8EUR extra per day if you want faster internet), more TV channels than in Blue Square (f.e. Discover or ComedyCentral - both in Dutch version but 99% of the time it's still in English with just Dutch subtitles)
- Blue Square - you really need to use a public transport to get to the town, it's way too far to walk
- Apollo - basically at the start of old town, few meters from HardRock Caffee
- Blue Square - own underground parking for 15 EUR a day
- Apollo - no own parking, you can on the street right outside of the hotel (no problems to find parking places) or in underground parking 300m away. Both will cost you more than 15 EUR for sure (4EUR/h 9-24 during week).
both hotels costs ~60EUR per night with breakfast paid separately (~10EUR).
Front desk staff were welcoming,room was very clean and quiet (4th Floor). Water was always very hot. Very close to attractions and choice of restaurants. Very close to Canal Boat Cruise start point. Nearby is the well run Keytours Excursion company also. The only slight annoyance was that we had to request tea/coffee making facility,however this was delivered to the room. Departure was again polite and courteous and public transport information was accurate with regard to reaching the airport(better to get the197 bus, than the train, only 4 Euros P/P one way and stops only 200yds from the hotel). Overall a very pleasant,clean,excellent value hotel in good geographical position.
Dear Mr Peter,
Thank you for staying with us and to take the time to share your experience.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and I am happy to see your comments regarding the staff. I am sure this will stimulate the team to do even better.
We hope to welcome you again and if there is anything at all please do not hestitate to contact me at all times.
With kind regards,
Front Office Manager
Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre
Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, upon check in the lady gave us a free upgrade. Location is good, only a short walk from all the main attractions. Unfortunately we got a ground level room with frontage on the street, so noise level was high. Also right next to stairs inside hotel and entrance with heavy closing door. But overall good value for money.
Dear Mr/ Mrs Danni,
First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience.
I am sorry to hear that you experienced some noise, my apologies for this. Please do not hestiate to contact the reception next time to see if tehre is anything we can do for you. Nevertheless I am happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay.
We hope to welcome you again.
With kind regards,
Front Office Manager
Best Western Apollo Museum hotel AMsterdam City Centre
Not very far from the Leidesplein and right next to the Rijksmuseum. Clean, quite, great service, I would definitely stay there again. Also there is a direct bus from schipol to Leidesplein. So hotel was very convienient.