“What a wonderfull place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Frederic Rent a Bike
Ranked #43 of 341 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I wanted for a long time to write some words about Frederic rent a bike. I am a freelancer musician and I am often doing productions in Amsterdam. Since several years , I am staying with Frederic rent a bike guestrooms. Let say that I tried almost all the options they have. All of them are worth booking! From the small rooms on the back of the office for a cosy stay like " at home" to the appartments in old typical dutch houses, I had each time a wonderfull time. Don't forget the houseboat options... Is there a better way to blend into the amsterdam atmosphere? They are all located in and around the jordaan area ( for me the best area of the city!) .
Ask for THE MAP...Frederic or Marjoleijn his wife will give a lot of nice tips about restaurants, night life and shopping.
Oh yes, they rent bikes too! Not the ones with a big sticker in the front saying " I am a tourist!" but typical dutch bikes.
Love it!!!

Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed June 17, 2012

First the positive, this family run business is so customer focused. Not one, but four different family members were there to help us get settled in. They created a custom city map highlighting their personal favorites (and showing us how to avoid certain parts of the city since we had our 11 year old with us). And for the record, all of their recommendations were spot-on. They gave us phone numbers to contact them anytime of day with questions and just generally were warm and welcoming. The apartment we rented at 006 Marja Brouwersgrachtwas spacious. Double bed downstairs, pull out bed upstairs. Large kitchen and dining area and washer and dryer for our use. It is located on the Brewery Canal in a residential area. Loved the location right on the canal. Plus the apartment has WiFi access. That's all the positive.

The main negative was the fact that the bathroom shower (there was no bath) was missing part of the shower door. It was impossible to take a shower without making a huge mess in the bathroom. We ended up rigging a shower door made of a plastic trash bag. For 390 euro for 2 nights, we should not have had to make our own shower door! The second negative was when we dropped something and it rolled under the bed. When we went to retrieve it, we saw the inches of piled up dust under the bed. Big ick. The third negative (and this is a minor one) was the washer and dryer were older models and the labels were in Dutch. Not surprising, since we were in Amsterdam, however trying to figure out how to use it was frustrating to say the least. We had to go online to translate the button names in order to do laundry.

When we contacted Frederic to let him know about the shower door, he apologized and promised to contact Marja about fixing it. However, I would confirm prior to renting this apartment.

Wonderful company, great service, just don't rent this apartment till they fix the shower (and make sure to have your laptop handy to translate the washer and dryer.)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StorytellerGal
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in one of Frederic's lovely apartments this past weekend, and it was great, but what really stands out is the "treasure map" given to us-- a muesum map where they marked by hand great places to eat and to visit. We tried to go to as many of them as possible and were not ever disappointed in the food or the experience. This kind of service is what makes a place to stay so much greater than just a room. Thank you!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Me and my girlfriend were staying for 3 nights in Mondriaan room, and had a great time. The hosts were super-nice and helpful, the facilities are fantastic. The room is very clean and the water bed is comfortable. The Jacuzzi bath is perfect and large enough for two. There wasn't any shortage of hot water and the hosts provide you with plenty of special bath salts and foam liquids which turn the bath taking to a very relaxing and soothing process :)

Hosts hospitality and all the small complimentary things turn your stay into an unique and very pleasant home-like experience.

Room Tip: Choose the Mondriaan room if you are looking for unique and romantic experience
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StasP
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We rented a lovely apartment (Marja) through Frederic Rent A Bike. It's listed as staying "With Our Friends" on the website, and that's very much what it was. The apartment was beautiful, and larger than the photos on the website made it look. I loved being able to go to the grocery store, cook in the wonderful kitchen, and sit in my own little living room. I felt I was a temporary Amsterdam resident. The location (across the canal from Frederic's office) was very pretty and very convenient.

The bedroom (at the back of the apartment) was amazingly quiet. The living room, where our daughter slept, was less quiet, but it didn't bother her. We had use of the washer and drier, part of the reason that we chose the apartment.

Frederic's son took our reservation, checked us in, and gave us an orientation to the city. He couldn't have been kinder or more helpful.

The down side was pretty much exclusively in my expectations. We'd stayed at the home of friends who were out of town earlier in our trip, and somehow I expected a combination of that and a hotel. Instead, we found that the apartment wasn't quite as clean nor as easy to navigate as our friends' home. The bathroom and bedroom were very clean, but the armoire was half-full of shoes and such, and the closet doors were tied shut with a ribbon. There was no drawer space available at all. The kitchen was very clean, but the dining room table had dried food stuck to it, and some of the dishes on the rack were quite dusty. We didn't need to take out the trash, but if we had, we wouldn't have known what to do with it. If we hadn't stayed with our friends and didn't know any Dutch, it would have been very difficult to work the washer and drier or the dishwasher. We could certainly have gone back to the office about either of those, or to get more toilet paper instead of buying it at the grocery store, but it wasn't worth it.

Our first night, I was disappointed in my choice, and I thought something that felt a little more welcoming would have been better. By the end of our 5 nights, I was very pleased with my choice, although I still would have liked a little drawer space (and still found the ribbons on the closet doors off-putting). If I return to Amsterdam, I'd certainly go back to Frederic and his family, and I might well rent this apartment again. I'd just do it knowing that it's not an antiseptic, sterile hotel room; it's an apartment that someone lives in and rents out when she has the opportunity.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank meg2005
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Due to my business, I often pass through Amsterdam. Until, someone introduced me to Frederic's rooms, I had to put up with hotels. Now, I stay at Frederic... a home away from home. It's a walk away from Central Station and near everything needed to make your stay a nice experience...

Room Tip: ALL rooms are good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mann M
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I rent Houseboat #9 for 3 nights(530€).Location us ideal(in front of Anne Frank s house).it was clean, well equipped and so nice to stay on a houseboat in Amsterdam.Frederic & his son are very kind and recommanded very nice restaurants. But if you want to sleep deeply that s not the place to stay : church bells chimmed every 30 minutes even during night !

• Stayed: April 2012