We rented two apartments in the same house on Herenmarkt - Vila Flora and Carlo. Our family visited Amsterdam during a time when a major conference was in town and most hotels jack up their rates and/or require long stays. These were the only reasonably priced accommodations we found that alllowed us to stay just 3 nights during that time. Our expectations were low but we were wowed by the value we received. The apartments were spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable. Both had a washer/dryer, very small dishwasher and mini-fridge The owner provided plenty of supplies. She lives in the building next door and checked in with us to make sure everything was OK. Our bedroom was at the back of the apartment and faced a small courtyard between two buildings. We were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was, even though there is a busy restaurant close by. The location is excellent. It's within walking distance of the train station and close to many restaurants, shops and a great Saturday market. The folks at Frederic Rent a Bike were awesome.
Some things to be aware of that may be of concern to some though they were not a problem for us:
1) The stairs up to the apartments were narrow and super steep, almost ladder-like. I think this is typical for Amsterdam, but it may be an issue if you have mobility challenges or lots of heavy luggage. The apartments we stayed in were on the second and third floor.
2) The toilet was in a small room just outside the apartment. There was only one apartment on each floor so it wasn't shared with anyone else but you do need to leave the privacy of your apartment to go to the loo. The shower was inside the apartment. Also, in our apartment, if you turned on the light in the toilet room, it also came on in the shower room, right next to the bed. A 3am trip to the toilet will probably be noticed by your sleeping partner.
3) You must pay the rental charge in full, in cash, upon arrival. We had no problems with this, but did need to bank funds via several ATM trips prior to our arrival. We provided a credit card # as a guarantee when making the reservation but nothing was charged.
Overall, these apartments were a great value and we would definitely return. Our bike rental experience with Frederic was also perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the Binnen Wieringerstraat 23, you will find Frederic Rent a Bike, a small, artistic, cozy bike rental that focuses on delivering an excellent local experience to its clients. Founded in the 1980’s as an art gallery by charming owners Frederic and Marjolein Sieger, Frederic Rent a Bike has since expanded its operation to focus on renting out bicycles. Ideally located just five minutes walk from Central Station, Dam Square, Frederic provides gorgeous accommodation options throughout the historic Jordaan district and main canal ring. Amsterdam’s Canal Ring has grown to be one of the world’s most unique urban landscapes and in 2010 the Amsterdam Canal Ring was added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List. For more than 20 years Frederic Rent a Bike have been ensuring that their guests have an incredible stay in Amsterdam – by providing an array of unique and thoughtful culinary and cultural recommendations to help you fall in love with this city. We look forward to seeing you soon. We hope to meet you one day in Amsterdam. Frederic, Marjolijn, Marne, Arthur and Jasmijn. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Frederic Rentabike Hotel Amsterdam